Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pls. comment: strange wrinkles

Default pls. comment: strange wrinkles

Hi all,
    I`m dreaming of a Mod. IV. Soaking up each and every topic of this board for years, now I have the chance to jump in the KF world. You should know that offers in Germany are very rare! So I shortly inspected a IV-1200, (serial #1860), first flown `95. I´m looking for a project to rebuild, adding some upgrades like Grove gear, 912 swap, etc. So time is not an issue. More important is that finally I own my personal perfect plane. In 2010 the nicely recovered (Ceconite 102, stamped) plane unfortunately was painted with car system (I guess). Paint is very thick, high gloss, but brittle. There are several fissures with non-elastic, bulged borders. Underneath clean white fabric shows off. Seems like the whole job has to be done again…As loosing some weight is a target anyway, I plan to do covering an paintwork from scratch.

Question: trailing edge of both wings (rightside much more) show heavy wrinkles, feeling like a sheet of plastic. Any thoughts how this happened? I could not find any damage or bending of the structure…

Thanks,
    Marc

IMG_4805.jpgIMG_4791.jpgIMG_4792.jpgIMG_4767.jpgIMG_4850.jpgIMG_4797.jpg

Default Re: pls. comment: strange wrinkles

Marc,

Congrats on getting your Kitfox and saving it for a new life of flying.

Can't say that I have ever seen wrinkles like that; and, speculating how it got that way is anybody's guess. If it is not due to physical damage, maybe incorrectly installed fabric or something that developed with an incompatible paint/solvent system - who knows.

When you strip the fabric you will be able to determine if the structure is ok - if so, as it seems to be from your examination, the cause of the wrinkles may just have to go as one of the unsolved mysteries of all time.

Having the time to refurbish and install new fabric and paint is certainly the way to go.

Sincerely,
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Hi,
    well done on getting a kitfox. Personally I would remove the fabric on the wings, the paint certainty isn’t poly tone, it has ring worm damage due too to heavy a coat and obviously not flexible.
    The wrinkles on the trailing edge are possibly caused by the way the trailing edge has been installed,
    it comes in sections and should be riveted and scotch welded to the feathered ends of the ribs, obviously back strips so that the rivets don’t pull through the thin wood cap strip. If not installed correctly the fabric will pull them in whilst tensioning with the calibrated iron, and looks a mess.
    Later models re-in force the trailing edge with round tube scotch welded into trailing edge before fitting to wing.
    Do-not remove the leading edge extrusion when removing the fabric also give the wing tanks a good check as earlier tanks are not ethanol proof and have been sloshed with kreem, if this has deteriorated it would be a very good time to change the tanks or try to fix.
    covering the wing is straight forward , check all ribs and false ribs for damage, and if not installed bottom false ribs make a huge difference to the wing profile, add three to the bottom of the tank also,
    check the scotch weld on the ribs with the wing folded out in the flying position try twisting from the tip any flexing suggests the rib glue has gone , now you have a bigger job than recovering,
    if you have have the build Manuel great the section on covering is daunting but read it twice, and get mr stitts manual,
    once you have covered the wings and all tapes, i would rib stitch the ribs, it says in the manual its optional and ok my machine isn’t, however if i was doing it again I’d rib stitch.
    rgds mike. G-FOXF

Try and heat it up to 250F and then 350F with an iron. I don’t know what’s causing it but you might be able to get of them
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

don't use an iron. go to an rc store and buy the heat gun(used to install monokot) and try that. I have a spot that's not as bad but will show it's ugly head in the winter. I take the heat gun and run it over the area and wallah it's gone. safe and doesn't hurt the paint.
    Last edited by Slyfox; 03-06-2019 at 08:34 AM.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Do not use a heat gun. You cannot adequately control the temperature with the gun. If the fabric is over heated it will relax and cannot be tightened again.

ralph

Use an iron, don't apply much pressure and use a piece of baking paper (is that what you guys call it?) or wax paper in between.
    Don't move the paper until the fabric has cooled down again. This helps keeping the paint intact.

Thank you all!
    If I will buy the plane, I likely would have a close look at the whole structure. Some things may happen within 24 yrs! Unfortunately the nice covering will have to pass away after only 9 yrs. due to bad topcoat!
    Anyway, fuel tanks also need a close look... Intentionally I just wanted to know, if these wrinkles do indicate bent/broken internal structure.

Marc

It may seem like an obvious and silly thing to say, but something caused that fabric to wrinkle. It did not spontaneously wrinkle on its own. Unless and until you know what caused it, the price should reflect the amount of risk you're willing to assume in what repairs might be required.

It sounds like you plan on a complete recover, which the plane is definitely begging for. I would not try to get the wrinkles out and call it good unless you know what caused them in the first place .
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I took another look, you have to recover the plane. strip it all and redue
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop