Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Cockpit Structure Question

Default Cockpit Structure Question

I am a homebuilder, a welder, and an older young person. I am new to Kitfox, this website, and your airplanes. I am not sure how in my EAA years the Kitfox revolution slid under my radar (I guess that's what happens when you skip OSH), but now I am very excited by what I am learning. Perhaps, someone could give me some information, based upon personal experience, about the clearance between a person sitting in either seat and the structural posts (4130 tubing) that run from a forward, lower fuselage, load-focus cluster to the inboard end of each aft spar? In photos and videos, it seems to be almost "in the way" of the person's neck or shoulder, but I suspect that is not the case.

I also would be interested in hearing from anyone who has looked into modifications of the seats that might make them position adjustable.

I cannot believe how exciting and fun your flying appears to be in your online videos - no internet when I was growing up! Please know how much people like me benefit from your videos and keep making them!

Burgerilla

Default Re: Cockpit Structure Question

John,

I I correctly understand the tubing structure you are considering, your query is the first of this nature I have observed on Teamkitfox. Your suspicion that this is not an issue is supported by the lack of previous conversations about this. If a person took the bottom and back seat cushions out of the plane, you might notice it but I have never had any body part conflicts with the structure you ask about. I have had an issue with walking into the corner of the open door with my noggin once but can't fault the plane for that - I should have ignored cornstalk blowing under the plane!

Welcome to the list and one of my suggestions is that it might not be a bad idea to find someone with a kitfox and go jump into the seat. I think you will find that answers both of your points.

Frankly, the fixed seat has been great - the angle of recline is just right, a person's head tips forward just a bit to level with the outside world and the site picture out the window is always identical.

My first Kitfox experience was an instructor back in the 90's pointing one out to me on the field. Later I got a ride in a Classic IV (which has a somewhat smaller cockpit than the 5, 6, 7's)

Later took a test flight in a 7 and found that roomier, although the IV wasn't a problem for me.

My fate was sealed after those experiences and I went on to get a kit; and find myself presently at the 10 year anniversary of enjoying the plane.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

John,

I’m 6’ 3” and have never had any part of the structure get in the way or restrict me in any way. Likewise the fixed seats have never been an issue for me and I find them very comfortable. I do have adjustable rudder pedals but I’ve always had them full forward for myself.
    i see you’re at CLE. I’m at Geauga County airport (7G8) about 48 miles east of CLE and would be happy to let you look at my 7SS to check things out yourself.
    Todd Rader
    Kitfox SS7 N117KM

Todd!

Thank you! That was a very kind offer and I will take you up on it. I will email you offline to coordinate.

John