Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Flying Idaho

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Flying Idaho

For those of you that have flown Idaho What would be your minimum Rate of climb that you would want your plane to have.
    I enjoy the u tube videos and see a lot of planes that look like they struggle to get out of areas like Johnson Creek. Just curious here.
    TJay Larsen

M1 Custom

Jabiru 2200 85hp

Default Re: Flying Idaho

If you can climb to 7,000’ you can get out of Johnson Creek. It’s not a crisis taking off or climbing out from JC and if you’re going south once you hit Landmark it’s all downhill.

Default Re: Flying Idaho

My comfort level would be about 1000 fpm. Johnson Creek, though wouldn't be too much of a challenge as the runway for takeoff runs down stream. Meaning there is a river that parallels the runway and it runs down the fairly wide canyon and a left turn following the river down the canyon is a typical departure. Other strips would be different as they all have their own challenges - or not. When our group flew the back country 10 or so years ago we all had a copy of "Fly Idaho" a pilots guide to the more remote strips. It has a rating system from easiest to most difficult. I checked and our edition is long gone, but the 3rd edition is available.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel