Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil thermostat on Rotax 912

Default Re: Oil thermostat on Rotax 912

more about the kiwi heat exchanger, please ... what market has the right size radiators, did you eliminate the under belly water radiator or the oil rad beside the gearbox ...

I had 600 hours with the bypass oil thermostat on a 912uls, and always figured it was a waste of time .. it did not keep the oil hot enough more than half of the year, so I do not intend to purchase one for the 912ul rebuild I am currently into .... and I will check the ebay shutters idea, but if the kiwi solution gets rid of the underbelly rad, that will be first choice

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Just buy the oil thermostat kit from Kitfox. It includes fittings, etc.
    I have been using a Mocal oil thermostat since 2009 and a thermobob coolant thermostat since 2010.

I am curious of the make and model of the thermostats others have, it seems like most don't know the make of what they have, ?
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Unfortunatly the belly radiator has to stay and get plenty of airflow. It Has to get rid of of not only cylinder head heat but also oil/crankcase heat. The heat exchanger I used is one from the wine industry and has more than ample strength and flow(it is in the suction side of the pump,and the coolant pressure is only what the Rotax/BMW radiator cap will support) laminova do a better unit,but at a not so great price.

Not sure what to tell you other than I purchased it from Lockwood. There is nothing on the unit other than " hot, cold, PC, and Made in USA" That is all!! Google Lockwood and look at their parts catalog. I am guessing Lockwood has a subcontractor making them.

Sort of felt of uncomfortable modifying the plumbing on the oil cooler system that served so well in my first Model IV, it was do the same on the new build. Controlled by a knob mounted near the throttle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Lowell,
    I decided not to install it at this time. I felt it was another point to be checked for leaks and additional weight. There's already enough crap under the cowl so why add more!!
    I was actually thinking of getting a system like you show in your post. Where did you get that one?

I made it. I had something similar on my first Model IV but with larger shutters.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Looks fairly easy to fabricate. What did you use for the rods? They tack welded to the shutters?

I used the control rods available at RC airplane suppliers they come threaded one end and I bend to shape. The shutters are made with a curled edge on top and they are glued to the rods with a structural epoxy injected into the joint after final assembly then the rods are rotated to cover the entire rod shutter interface then positioned in the closed position for cure. I think I still have some tooling.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel