Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil thermostat on Rotax 912

Default Re: Oil thermostat on Rotax 912

I too have the oil thermostat for my 912uls with 750 hours on it now. It seems, as Scott said, that it doesn't help much on cold warm-up. It seems like it did a better job when it was much newer. I am wondering if the little thermal element in the stat has failed, maybe yours too Scott, and it should be replaced. I know on cars that element seems to have a limited life. Any ideas on how to test it without disassembly?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

this is my thoughts on that. are you using 100LL, that could gum up the thermostat. the other, if you think it may not be working quit well than by all means replace the element.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Most oil thermostats for the 912 don't fully shut off flow or bypass the oil cooler. They usually allow roughly a 10 percent flow when closed.

I would like to know a make and model of this one that totally bypasses the oil cooler.

I have been using a mocal oil thermostat since 2010, I remember it making a difference on warm up back then when I first tried it. It allows approximately 10% flow when fully closed, so you still need to block off a portion of the oil cooler inflight when it is "arctic". Not a big deal if the oil cooler is up in front of the gearbox. Aluminum tape works well.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

What make and model of oil thermostats are you guys using ?

Are you guys using a coolant thermostat as well?

I use the thermobob coolant thermostat, it also helps with engine warmup and it keeps temps up inflight, very nicely .
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    C-FOXW

not sure about the 10% still going through the oil cooler, could be I guess. I got mine from lockwood many moons ago. like maybe 14 years. Now for the coolant, nope. reason I don't is because I run my heat off the cooler. a bit of redneck in me. I run a plastic funnel off the back of the cooler and run scat hose off that into the inside and point it at my feet. free heat, than I cover the cooler with cardboard and a couple pocky ties from an automotive transmission cooler setup. works great, keeps my feet warm. no weight and no complexity with taping into the water.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I run both the oil thermostat from Lockwood and coolant thermostat, I think the engine warms up quicker but I know temps are very stable and predictable across a wide rage of flight conditions.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I already have the coolant Thermostat and will install the oil thermostat since it is already bought and paid for. The coolant thermostat I bought a few years ago through Hal Stockman. The oil thermostat I bought while at Oshkosh last year. I purchased it from Lockwood and it was $55.95. Be advised they do NOT include the hose fittings, even though the paper (instructions) state that they are included. It is just the thermostat and one must source their own fittings and clamps. They are just 1/2" brass hose barbs which can be purchased at any hardware type place. Or go custom or aviation quality and get some nice blue anodized fitting from JEGS or SUMMIT.

Is there a make and model on it?
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    C-FOXW

Just buy the oil thermostat kit from Kitfox. It includes fittings, etc.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Here's the kiwi solution to slow warm ups and varying oil and coolant temps.Yes it's complicated but it's a fly and forget system .A typical days flying here can be a take off ar 10- 25c air temp,climb thriugh 0 to minus 10 then back to 10-25 on the other side of the island.
    I installed a full flow coolant thermostat,removed my oil cooler and installed a heat exchanger.My temps start to rise almost immediately after startup and have both stabilised by the time I have reached the run up area.both temps stay together(92c) and apart from approximately a 5c variation,never very from a full power climb out to a 20 minute decent at less than half throttle.Also as part of the system I also have a "hot" block on both carbs at the opposite side of the throttle spindle area,no icing but an occasional attention getting misfire as the ice breaks away on occasions.I hope this may be of help to anyone flying in similar ,4 seasons in one day flying.