Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil thermostat on Rotax 912

Default Oil thermostat on Rotax 912

How many guys are using an oil thermostat on their 912's? Is it really neccessary? I bought one while at Oshkosh last summer but after reading up on it (before installing), I am thinking I might just leave the engine as is. I basically wanted it to allow the engine to warm up a bit quicker in the cold climate Ilive in. Realizing that I already have a Tanis preheater on it, I probably don't need it. Plus, it is just adding weight nd complexity.

I have the engine removed and am debating wether or not to send it to Hal or MLS to have them look at the persistent ignition issue. I was able to find one wire that was hanging by a couple of strands. It was the red lead going into the rear of the engine. It is the same wire I had issues with a few years ago. Since the engine is off, I am replacing the water hoses and other rubber items. Figure it would also be a good time to install the oil thermostat, but as I mentioned, having second thoughts.

Default Re: Oil thermostat on Rotax 912

Doug(Floog) and I have the same engine/prop combo and did a test a couple of weeks ago. We started up at the same time temp etc and ran the same startup RPM profile. On a warm up to 120 deg oil temp the difference in time was 30 seconds. I have the oil thermostat and Doug does not. I don't think the thermostat is worth the added weight and complexity. All other flight parameters with regard to oil temp are negligible.

Scott
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

Thank you Scott!! That was the findings that I was getting in my research. Basically, it was not worth doing.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFox View Post
    Doug(Floog) and I have the same engine/prop combo and did a test a couple of weeks ago...
    What was the ambient temp?

Start up outside air temp was 28 Deg F. We have been compairing flight temps and they are the same too. Both of us have shutters that cover our oil cooler.
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

Interesting thread, would be be curious if there is a bigger difference with the shutters open (assuming they were closed). I put the thermostat in when I built the plane (but no shutters) so have nothing to compare it to.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

On the ground the shutters don't make much of a difference. I've started the plane with it open and closed. There is not much difference. The shutter really shines when flying. As you know at altitude the oil doesn't get really warm. The shutter can warm the oil as much as 30 deg. I made my own shutter. You can also order one for the Rotax on ebay. Search Rotax 912 oil shutter.
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

sorry guys, I love my thermostat on the oil. I always see the same temps 180 or so. I fly a bunch in the winter, usually not under 25 degrees. for me plug and play is my game. meaning I jump in the plane, start it and go fly. no shutter to mess with, no worrying about the oil temps. I have a combined 2000+ hrs on two motors with this setup, absolutely love it. you guys want to tinker, go ahead.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

LOL, I understand the 'tinker' comment as I am one of those types! My wife says all I ever do is tinker with stuff!!

Fortunately (unfortunately most will say) I live in the boonies, and it gets VERY cold here. Woke up to -30 yesterday and I had to leave early for a 330 mile RT drive to pick up a vintage snowmobile. Yes, it gets brutal cold here. Windchills were extremely low and the high temp for the day was -4!!

I am old enough now that I will not fly in those temps. I will occasionally fly in belwo zero temps, but generally in the 172 since it is better insulated and has a good heater. All the fabric covered planes I have owned seem to lose heat much faster than the old aluminum spam can does.

I'll probably end up installing the thermostat and put on the shutter. I usually have to tape over it but have had the days temp rise enough that I had to land and remove the tape. A shutter would be nice in this instance.

I consider myself a weiny. I went flying yesterday it was cold, like 12 degrees. windy yup, that too. It was 11 gust to 20 or so. I took the RV.
    On the thermostat you don't have to have the shutter as well, the right thermostat will not let the oil even go into the oil lines to the cooler, the cooler is completely bypassed, having the thermostat will make sure no cooler or lines are in the flow. will be warmer on oil temps. my take
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop