Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil thermostat on Rotax 912

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Oil thermostat on Rotax 912

sorry guys, I love my thermostat on the oil. I always see the same temps 180 or so. I fly a bunch in the winter, usually not under 25 degrees. for me plug and play is my game. meaning I jump in the plane, start it and go fly. no shutter to mess with, no worrying about the oil temps. I have a combined 2000+ hrs on two motors with this setup, absolutely love it. you guys want to tinker, go ahead.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

LOL, I understand the 'tinker' comment as I am one of those types! My wife says all I ever do is tinker with stuff!!

Fortunately (unfortunately most will say) I live in the boonies, and it gets VERY cold here. Woke up to -30 yesterday and I had to leave early for a 330 mile RT drive to pick up a vintage snowmobile. Yes, it gets brutal cold here. Windchills were extremely low and the high temp for the day was -4!!

I am old enough now that I will not fly in those temps. I will occasionally fly in belwo zero temps, but generally in the 172 since it is better insulated and has a good heater. All the fabric covered planes I have owned seem to lose heat much faster than the old aluminum spam can does.

I'll probably end up installing the thermostat and put on the shutter. I usually have to tape over it but have had the days temp rise enough that I had to land and remove the tape. A shutter would be nice in this instance.

I consider myself a weiny. I went flying yesterday it was cold, like 12 degrees. windy yup, that too. It was 11 gust to 20 or so. I took the RV.
    On the thermostat you don't have to have the shutter as well, the right thermostat will not let the oil even go into the oil lines to the cooler, the cooler is completely bypassed, having the thermostat will make sure no cooler or lines are in the flow. will be warmer on oil temps. my take
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Here's the kiwi solution to slow warm ups and varying oil and coolant temps.Yes it's complicated but it's a fly and forget system .A typical days flying here can be a take off ar 10- 25c air temp,climb thriugh 0 to minus 10 then back to 10-25 on the other side of the island.
    I installed a full flow coolant thermostat,removed my oil cooler and installed a heat exchanger.My temps start to rise almost immediately after startup and have both stabilised by the time I have reached the run up area.both temps stay together(92c) and apart from approximately a 5c variation,never very from a full power climb out to a 20 minute decent at less than half throttle.Also as part of the system I also have a "hot" block on both carbs at the opposite side of the throttle spindle area,no icing but an occasional attention getting misfire as the ice breaks away on occasions.I hope this may be of help to anyone flying in similar ,4 seasons in one day flying.

Sort of felt of uncomfortable modifying the plumbing on the oil cooler system that served so well in my first Model IV, it was do the same on the new build. Controlled by a knob mounted near the throttle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Lowell,
    I decided not to install it at this time. I felt it was another point to be checked for leaks and additional weight. There's already enough crap under the cowl so why add more!!
    I was actually thinking of getting a system like you show in your post. Where did you get that one?

I made it. I had something similar on my first Model IV but with larger shutters.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Just buy the oil thermostat kit from Kitfox. It includes fittings, etc.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Just buy the oil thermostat kit from Kitfox. It includes fittings, etc.
    I have been using a Mocal oil thermostat since 2009 and a thermobob coolant thermostat since 2010.

I am curious of the make and model of the thermostats others have, it seems like most don't know the make of what they have, ?
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Not sure what to tell you other than I purchased it from Lockwood. There is nothing on the unit other than " hot, cold, PC, and Made in USA" That is all!! Google Lockwood and look at their parts catalog. I am guessing Lockwood has a subcontractor making them.