Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grass strip at 8900 ft

Default Re: Grass strip at 8900 ft

Don't know if this will be helpful or not, but... Our flying group has flown into Smiley Creek (South Central Idaho) several times over the years. At the very least, it would be a good place to evaluate the specifics of the question - Airplane performance and Pilot proficiency. The runway is 8800" elevation and 5000 ft long for lots of leeway in all parameters. We flew mostly Kitfox Model IVs with the 912UL 80 horse. Always landed with runway to spare - lot of it. The first picture was taken at Smiley Creek, the second at Johnson Creek - added to show the contingent that year. Furthest away, Blue and yellow - Model IV-1200 Rotax 582. Next almost hidden Model IV-1200 Rotax 912UL. Next Rans S-6 Rotax 912ULS. Next my Model IV-1200 Rotax 912UL. Next Model IV-1200 Rotax 912UL. Closest Series V Rotax 912UL. All landed and departed Smiley Creek with ease.

Smiley Creek.jpgJohnson Creek.jpg
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Interesting Lowell, nice shots. What would you say DA was? OAT and time of day taking off? Just curious.

Thanks,
    Clark

Clark,
    Not sure - pictures taken 2002. That said, however, we always scheduled in summer and wore T-shirts and shorts. The only time we regretted that was the night at Johnson Creek when temps dropped to 20s.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Thanks Lowell, those are definitely on my list of places to visit. Summer in the mountains is unpredictable.
    Again, thanks for posting the pics!
    Clark