Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: de-registering and liability

Default de-registering and liability

So I figured I would ask here first before I spend a 1/2 hour on hold trying to get through to the faa. I regretfully sold my series 6 in 2017 and lost all contact info for the buyer. It was still in kit form but has an N number with me and my ex as the builders. Yes I really thought I would finish building it but sometimes life sucks. If the new owner finishes building the plane how do I take the liability off of me or my ex? Or is this even possible? The tail number is still registered in our names, the only thing missing is an airworthiness cert. because I never finished building it. Did I screw up again?
    Thanks

Default Re: de-registering and liability

Yeh, I hate to say it but you messed up. Your supposed to divorce first then buy the airplane. Sorry, I just had to . Its' kind of an inside joke.
    Sometimes life does suck. I don't believe the registration lasts longer than two years so upon expiration I don't think it could register under your name again.
    Since you didn't finish it then your name wouldn't be on the aircraft would it? The purchaser would have sought the Airworthiness Cert under his name, No?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

You really don't have anything to worry about.

Registrations only last 3 years. They have to do with an aircraft (model/serial#) having an N number and list the owners name. It will get updated at some point, most likely before the plane is finished and flying. I believe the actual proof of ownership would be linked to the bill of sale, which you did when you sold the aircraft (right?).

When it comes to liability, should anything ever happen, it would fall on the the builder (who's name is on the Special Airworthiness Certificate) and/or the last person who last worked on the aircraft. You didn't finish the build and you haven't put your name in the logbooks for a condition inspection. You might argue that you could be held liable for something you assembled, but the aircraft will have a complete inspection signed off when it receives the airworthiness and that really should absolve you of any culpability.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks guys I feel better now. I am also lucky that when she left, anything that wouldn't fit in her car is mine, I was able to get the judge put that in the paper work. I got the house, the Kitfox, 3 other planes, my motorcycle and dune buggy. And the biggest thing was NO SPOUSAL SUPPORT!! Someday I will have another Kitfox but never another wife.