Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Poly fiber iron suggestions

Default Poly fiber iron suggestions

I’ve purchased two so far and both don’t get nearly hot enough. It seems there is some new regulation around how hot irons can get. Can anyone suggest a reliable source for a good iron. Even the one on aircraft spruce seems to have some issues with holding temp within 40 degrees or so. Another forum member suggested a wax iron which I thought was a great idea but the model suggested is out of stock for a while.

Default Re: Poly fiber iron suggestions

Try Goodwill or other Thrift shops...cheap to try out & gift back if not doing the job.

If you want a clothing iron you will have to disable the auto off circuit. Not hard to do. Keep in mind that clothing irons are not anything close to temperature stable. If you want temp stable you will need something a little better. We have used ski wax irons with great success on several projects. I would advise using a teflon cloth when you are using it around adhesives etc.

http://old.stewartsystems.aero/products/493/iron-t-10a
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

I just got this one from Amazon for under $80. Unfortunately it is no longer in stock.
    Wintersteiger Digital Ski Snowboard… 4.0 out of 5 stars(1)

Here is the other digital ski wax iron that is highly recommended and the price has dropped:
    Toko T14 Digital Wax Iron
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I bought a Toko T14 Digital wax iron and used it extensively. Only problem was that there is a limit on the maximum temperature you can achieve. Can't remember what it was but I think off the cuff somewhere around 325F. I wanted the full 350F so I used it for everything except the final 350F which I did with a household iron. The beauty of the Toko was that it was accurate: I set the temp according to the digital readout and then used a laser temp indicator to check. It was within a few degrees every time.
    David
    SS7 Builder

The Toko T18 goes to 356 (180C) degrees. The T14 goes to 320.

Clark