Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oratex - What order did you install the fuselage panels?

Default Re: Oratex - What order did you install the fuselage panels?

Lars Gleitsmann (Owner) (907) 229-6792 or Lars@betteraircraftfabric.com

Interesting.... Lars told me different and I never found that anywhere in the manual. I think this is his frustration. I was told if its touching it, glue it. Finishing tape is only for seams, rib stitching covering, and leading edge. To clarify he is not saying you don't need finishing tapes, but you don't use them the same way you do with the other fabric systems. There is not a need to cover all the fuselage tubes and ribs like you do with other fabrics. If you want to, you can, but its not needed.
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 02-23-2019 at 09:36 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Can anyone provide some close up images of their seams on the fuselage? And how you did the seam tapes? I'm currently debating if i do top/bottom then sides, or bottom-sides-top.
    Doing the top last would make it easier to put in the static ports as I'm putting them near the tail, and leave ample time and room to complete wiring etc. However, I'm concerned about the looks of seams and tape.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

No matter what you do, get good at trimming off the excess very straight. Guess I figured the seem was going to be hidden under the tape. Not.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Yes like Eddie stated. Cut off excess as straight as possible as you will see it through the tape. Tape does not hide much.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

If u need some info and pic mayb i can help some, i not long ago finished my PA12 in white Oratex (I did whole thing by myself) that was bought from Better Aircraft Fabric here in Alaska, Larz and Paul had Joe come up to my shop from Anchorage and give a 3day class in the do's and dont's on it. Those guys r awesome people!!!! And they have a guide book they wrote to help understand the factory manual,
    Bad thing is i cant figure how to post the pic off my phone to the form.

Their book says, to cover in 4 pieces to do roof last. And work from front to back of fuse, So i say, bottom, both sides, top last. Think how the water will shed off in the rain and not have any chance down the road to get into a bad seam that is unknown about.
    But Remember, NO UNSUPPORTED SEAMS, and vertical seams r ugly.
    Last edited by buckchop; 02-24-2019 at 01:21 PM.

New question has come up.

I did talk to Lars the other day and got a lot of things cleared up.

However, I'm not wondering how you guys covered the wing tip attachment area. Did you rivit on the bracket first then just fabric over it? Or did you do something else?
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

I put the fabric on first and wrapped it around the end rib/wing tip attachment area and then installed the wingtip attachments.

Brett
    mykitlog.com/bholland

Quote Originally Posted by tracstarr View Post
    I did talk to Lars the other day and got a lot of things cleared.
    That’s good! For some reason this was not the last post? Yes rivet them on first then cover over. I countersunk the rivet holes. Plan on running 1” finishing tape over the seam when the wing tips are finally installed.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Well, my covering is now on hold. Really frustrated. In canada we have an inspection process and just after I cut my material and ready to apply a friend suggested we call the inspector and talk to him. Turns out they require fabric overlap to match what's in the manual from Germany... which would make thing look terrible. 2 inch overlap, then requiring seam tape. You'd have to apply standard 2" tape only on one side, it would look terrible. I'm now waiting to hear back from the head of the service about this, and Lars is reaching out to the German team to see if they can provide some written changes that would allow less. Always something....
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO