Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rubber replacement with silicone hoses

Default Rubber replacement with silicone hoses

I removed the engine on my S7 the other day due to a persistant ignition issue that I can't figure out. I am guessing it is the ignition or stator wiring at the rear of the engine. Not sure if I want to send the entire engine off to Hal to diagnos, or attempt doing it myself. Unfortunately the northern MN temps have been quite fridgid this past month and I have no heat in my hangar. I do have a torpedo heater, but it is noisy and smelly. Heck, spent a day in -20 temps getting the engine off and nearly froze!!

Since I have the motor removed, I may as well replace all the coolant hoses. I think Hal (Zipper fame) uses the blue silicone type hose on engines he works on. I had thought that I read a post on here that gave all the sizes of the hoses. I figure it is metric, but you can usually get english standard size close enough to work. I left everything in the hangar and with 3-4 feet of snow out there and it dark, I don't feel like driving over to mic it out.

Anyone know the various sizes of hose?

Thanks!!

Default Re: Rubber replacement with silicone hoses

WW,

The hose which goes to the cylinder heads is 17mm.

The hose which goes to the radiator, as supplied by Kitfox (unless there has been a recent part number change) is 1"; but, I am sure there is a metric equivalent labeled by Rotax.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I used high-quality reinforced silicone hose, 5/8”, and it seems to work well. You may find that 17 mm silicone is very hard to find, as I did. 1” is no problem. The slightly smaller size (0.625 vs 0.669) seems to work just fine, and the total cross sectional area of 4 hoses is still well above that of the single 1”. I previously posted info about that, including some suppliers on my thread “John’s build”.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks John!! I tried searching for the thread but couldn't find it. That is the info I was looking for. Still haven't gotten over to my hangar, it has been snowing again and we have probably gotten 4' plus of that white crap this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    I used high-quality reinforced silicone hose, 5/8”, and it seems to work well. You may find that 17 mm silicone is very hard to find...
    Thanks John!! I tried searching for the thread but couldn't find it. That is the info I was looking for. Still haven't gotten over to my hangar, it has been snowing again and we have probably gotten 4' plus of that white crap this winter.

I do have another question. In my research it is stated that one must use a different type of clamp verse the 'worm gear' type. The new Rotax one look like the type you squeeze with a plier (sping clamp) to install. The otherone I noticed is the 'Ear clamp' style. The silicne hose manufacturers recommened ones are either the constant tension or the T-clamp type that doesn't have the grooves like a worm gear type. Are you guys having good luck with the spring clamp type or best to use the tension ones?

I used the “spring” type that came on the engine. They have a smooth inner surface that doesn’t hurt the silicone or whatever type hose you use, & they provide “constant tension” also. They worked perfectly with my silicone hose.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Local NAPA has it in stock!! Awesome! $5.00/foot. little cheaper online, but with shipping it actually costs more. I wanted the red colored to match the plane, but not many options out there.