Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Garmin G3X Touch, Best Source To Buy?

Default Garmin G3X Touch, Best Source To Buy?

Hello everyone,

Want to ask the general aviation forum about where I should buy the G3X for best price, and most importantly, customer support if the need arrises.

I am inclined to place an order with Kitfox with the idea they would know precisely what I needed to get a fully integrated system, vs. buying locally in the western suburbs of Chicago, or other avionics shops on the internet.

Can anyone speak on behalf of Kitfox? ...and to what level of support they will offer with the purchase?

Sarasota Aviation has a internet wizard that walks you along towards an accurate purchase based on your needs... pretty cool!

Can anyone offer alternate purchase options?

Thank you!
    N928M
    Mike
    West Chicago, IL
    Kitfox 5 Speedster, building
    912ULS, Airmaster 332

Default Re: Garmin G3X Touch, Best Source To Buy?

I’d call Pacific Coast. No sales tax in Oregon.

You might check with Stein Avionics. I think they do a lot of the Vans RV guys. Prices are average but customer support is really good. I went with them for my Super STOL avionics package. Looks like they are also a sponsor of this forum.

Take Care,
    John

X2, I'm working with SteinAir now on my SuperSTOL panel and have been impressed with their customer service so far.

Clark

I also am using Stein Air, they have been very good to work with as I really did not know what I needed as for all the equipment for the Garmin G3X system. They supplied all units and I had them build the harnesses. I am covering right now so I have not yet fired up the system yet but I know I made the right choice in using them.

I have used John Stark at www.starkavionics.com exclusively for avionics in all my planes (3 planes and 5 instrument panels). Search under “products experimental”. By far the best prices I’ve ever found.
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

You can get some great deals at Oshkosh, but it helps to know exactly what you want. Be careful not to by your avionics too early in the build, the warranty is ticking and newer products may come out. On the flip side it is good early on to have an idea of what you want so you can plan on location, mounting, wiring runs, etc. What I learned at Oshkosh was they dealers wanted you to place the order during the week or first thing the following week.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Phil is quite possibly correct, at least I wouldn't argue that point, but since were talking Garmin I will add this. I had bad AP servos. I didn't discover it until around 1.5yr after I bought them. Garmin replaced without question. My GTX345 xpdr also not right. Bought it when I bought the servos. Its been at least two years now. They told me they had problems with software installs on all this stuff around the time I bought it all. Anyhow, they addressed the software issue as well via Aircraft Spruce. Im not sure you will beat Garmin customer support. You May find equal but better Im not sure.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

At Oshkosh last year, I compared prices and specs on the Garmin and Dynon offerings and attended some mfr demos/lectures. Once I found that Garmin's prices were similar/lower than Dynon's for equivalent capabilities, and their data subscription was priced similar to Foreflight, I went with Garmin for better reliability and customer support.

I haunted the Garmin booth and got all the pre-purchase tech support I needed, signed up for their show discount, collected their panel layout vinyls, and placed the order through Kitfox.

So far so good.
    Michael
    Cherokee 180; Kitfox S7SS in progress

Good to know. I plan on doing the same this year.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades