Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox enclosed trailer wanted info on manufacture in Georgia

Default Kitfox enclosed trailer wanted info on manufacture in Georgia

I seen a add in barnstormers not very long ago about an outfit in Georgia was making super wide trailers for Kitfox type aircraft. Some how I remember owners name as Sorensen or Sorensen but not the companies the name. Thought I saved info but Nooooo!
    Kitfox 7 flying

Default Re: Kitfox enclosed trailer wanted info on manufacture in Georgia

Mark Sorenson, Custom Aircraft Trailers, 770-765-3596, Senoia, GA.
    Ray
    Kitfox V Lycoming YO-233

Default Re: Kitfox enclosed trailer wanted info on manufacture in Georgia

Mark is a Southwest pilot, and also does airshows, so it may take a while to get a reply. I have his cell number if you have tried the business number repeatedly with no response.

The trailers are manufactured by Arising Industries, 4 North Gill Street, Hazlehurst GA 31539 (they also have a plant at 200 Edward Rd, Fitzgerald, GA where I picked up my trailer). Phone is (912) 375-6044, but you need to work through Mark. Trailer prices are reasonable, and many options are available. If you've ever shopped custom trailers, you know that Arising's prices are very good. However, the more expensive trailers may be more robust; you get what you pay for.

The Federal Highway width limit is 8' 6" (102"), which is very tight for an S7SS (and impossible for an STI). A well-known Kitfox traveler had his trailer made 110" wide, which makes loading and trailering much easier. He's towed all over the country and never been questioned by authorities, but if they put a tape on his trailer, I'm not sure there could be a happy outcome. You make your own call.

I ordered my trailer with 8' extra length, to incorporate a living unit (as seen with good horse trailers), for which Arising built an interior wall dividing the living and airplane sections and set up electrical supply. I then took the trailer to a custom trailer outfitter to outfit the living quarters, who leak-tested the living quarters and required $1000 worth of remediation for roof and sidewall leaks that, they said, would have rotted the fabric and cabinetry in the living quarters (after some negotiation, Arising covered half of that). When all was done, I found that the tongue weight was > 2000 lbs (for other reasons, I needed bumper-pull rather than 5th-wheel) -- a weight that requires an F350 dually or equivalent. My assessment is that Arising installed the trailer axles in their usual place, despite knowing that there was an extra 8' of trailer up front in which I'd be installing a thousand pounds or so of living quarters. So, I conclude that engineering might not be their strong suit; if you order something out of the ordinary, it would pay to work with them carefully on configuration. As for me, it gave me an excuse my wife couldn't argue with to trade my F250 in on an F350 dually....
    Michael
    Cherokee 180; Kitfox S7SS in progress