Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox 4, Rotax 912, cabin heater

Default Kitfox 4, Rotax 912, cabin heater

Hi,

can anyone send me pictures about installation and plumbing of the cabin heater in a Kitfox 4, Rotax 912.

Thank you in advance
    Juergen

Default Re: Kitfox 4, Rotax 912, cabin heater

Try this link ,several different styles of cabin heaters and lots of great info, ideas and pictures.
    http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.p...n-heat/&page=1

There had been talk from some who were reluctant to add a heater core behind the panel because of the perceived risk of burns in the event of a failure in the coolant tubing feeding the core using the typical routing. That concern can be resolved by reversing the orientation of the heater core to have the inlet outlet fittings on the engine side of the firewall.
    It can be done, but the only consideration for me was tightening the fittings to the core without damaging the core with no room to put a typical wrench to stabilize the core side fittings. A custom wrench solved that problem. It was fitted onto the heater core mounted fitting on the cockpit side of the firewall as the tubing fittings were tightened. So far so good and heats well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Here's how I did the heater.

I used an aluminum heater core From Summit. Spectra # 93007, $37.95.
    Added four ball bearing computer fans from amazon - bgears 90 mm fans. $6.87 each. Made a simple
    aluminum mounting bracket from scrap 6062 and 2024.

What I like about this setup is the connections are outside the cabin. Low = two fans. High = 4 fans. Light weight, Aprox. 3 lbs.
    It moves quite a bit of air on very little amperage and its surprisingly quiet. And of course it's very cost effective. Lol, cheap.
    The engine is not installed nor plumbed so I cannot comment on actual coolant lines to and from the engine.

Disclaimer - This setup has not been tested. Use at your own risk.
    Also, I know nothing about proper airplane heating systems.

Cheers, and good luck with your heater!

Heater core4.jpgheater core1.jpgheater core fan.jpgheater core5.jpg
    Last edited by bbs428; 02-16-2019 at 01:26 PM. Reason: added content
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Cheap eBay 3 hole heater with two fans. Have to block off the radiator because it makes cooling a bit better.
    Attached Images Attached Images