Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Shipping an engine. Crate ideas

Default Shipping an engine. Crate ideas

I pulled the engine off my plane last week in hopes of solving the ignition issues I have been having. I am pretty sure it is something in the stator/ignition assembly at the rear of the engine and the only way to get at it was to remove the engine. Brutally cold days (no heat in my hangar) and some physical issue going on, I am thinking I should send the motor off to Hal Stockman or to Mississippi Light SPort to try and solve the problem.

I live in the woods (Literally) and the nearest town is 25+ miles with any type of shipping capabilities. I did talk to Fed-ex and they can ship up to 150 lbs. I am hoping I can build a small crate to hold the engine and not go over this weight. Has anyone do this? Any ideas on how to make a rugged crate that doesn't weigh too much? I figured I would make it out of 1/4" plywood with 2x2 framing, but that might end up on the heavy side.

Anyone have any pictures or diagrams of something I could use?

Default Re: Shipping an engine. Crate ideas

I've shipped or received several engines in the last couple of years, and there should be a base rate on shipping a pallet. Size is probably up to 4' square, and maybe 500 lbs. Price was $210 and they were shipped halfway across country or more. This is the outfit that shipped my engines. Funny thing, when I got a price from FedEx, they quoted me over $500. They actually ended up being the outfit that hauled the engine but it came through the shipping agency at the $210 price. Weird how it works. Give this # a call and get a quote from them. 800-716-7608 Company is Freight Center. JImChuk

PS there are 4 bolt holes on the bottom sides of the 912 engines for a bed mount. Drill a couple of angel irons to bolt on to these holes, and bolt the angels to the bottom of the crate. That will keep the motor from moving around in the crate. Have skids under the crate though so it can be lifter up with a fork lift or pallet jack.

Thanks Jim!! Were the crates just plywood? My engine is actually on a bed mount type system and that is how I figured I would mount it.

Anyone in particular you would recommned I send the motor to?

Here is how my 912iS came.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks ed!

If I was building a crate again, I would do as I did with the others. 5/8" or 3/4" base plywood, 3/8" plywood sides and top. 2" X 2" boards in the corners so you can screw the plywood pieces to each other. 4" X 4" blocks in the corners of the bottom so a forklift can pick it up. JImChuk

Thanks Jim! That is exactly the info I was looking for. Hadn't thought of the 4x4 in the corners, I was just going to put a couple of 2x4 for skids. 4x4 sounds better.

I haven't shipped an aircraft engine with them but I've shipped Harley Davidson engines twice with great results and the best rate. Fastenal will ship store to store, if you're interested in a quote you can check out their web site on the third party logistics tab.