Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Continental O200 or Rotax 912 S

Default Continental O200 or Rotax 912 S

Which one is more reliable?
    The Continental is a bit heavier but more simple at just being aircooled
    Both have 100 HP if the Conti is more reliable, I wouldnt mind the extra weight.

Also weher can I buy a new Continental?

Default Re: Continental O200 or Rotax 912 S

Where can I buy one new?
    I need it to run with automobile fuel, theY can be ran RELIABLE with this kind of fuel?

The 912 has as good a reliability record as anything out there.The engine is 21st century technology-Just try comparing modern auto engines to 1930's thru 50's flatheads.Tbo, I'm told,is being raised to 2000 house.With good maintainance,I'm hearing about engines around with 3000 hours and more.A local training has one with over 1500 house on it's highest time engine. They say they've never has any problems other than routine maintainance-never added oil to any of them and they've sold and delivered planes all over the country-fly planes to Oshcosh and Sun and Fun every year.Water cooling is a good thing.It works great in your car.It keeps temps constant-No shock cooling-no cracked cylinders-No carb mixture-cranks like an Accord hot or cold-What's not to like.

Rotax hands down. It's a "real " airplane engine, liquid cooled, less weight, modern technology, electronic ignition, less weight, more prop. choices, better performance, quieter running(eco and neighbor friendly) less weight, great support , easy maintenance , better fuel economy, less weight, comparable TBO's, lower cost overhauls (if it ever needs one) , and of course it's less weight.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I believe rotax/bombardier started in the 60's/70's,..snow mobiles ,..water craft ,..then ultralights ..then certified aircraft,..the alloys in the casings are top notch..all have needle bearing rods,.. some have the option for ceramic coated pistons,..the advantages of having a motor in so many different applications ,,they have seen it all,..meaning the use and abuse

Amen DesertFox4.You said everything I wish I had said.The truth is, Contintentals, Lycombings and Rotaxs are all great engines if maintained.Cut the gas off and they all stop.Don't discount the 912 because it's different from what you're used to.Many a GA pilot have eaten their words after becoming familiar with the 912.

I'll agree with this statement
    Quote" sounds like continental got it! and its a real airplane engine too! And if continental ever went under parts will still be out their"

end quote

my next door neighbor has a 55 foot box trailer full of continental parts,.. mostly failed crank and or cases,.. out of the 100's he has ..he says you might be able to put a couple together ,..so if anyone is looking for parts.give me a shout

I am also an ardent 4 stroke Rotax fan but do not discount the Jabiru in your research.
    I recently installed a 2200 85 hp and am amazed at the performance. Full flight testing is still underway but how about this:
    Take-off weight 1200lbs
    Field elevation 550 ft
    OAT 77 F
    Rate of climb 800 fpm
    2000 ft AGL, strait&level 2400 rpm = 80 mph, 2600 rpm = 95 mph
    Prop is a 2 blade wood, South African made 60x35.
    Max static 2950, max speed S&L 3150 rpm = 120 mph
    The airframe is our Explorer, closely resembling the KF5.
    And to top it all, here that motor here costs us less than a third of what we pay for the 912S.
    Oh and the TBO is 2000 hours.
    The motor is beautifull with most parts CNC machined.
    The installation is neat and tidy with very little clutter.
    I am not an engine dealer, just an admirer.
    Those interested can follow the flight testing progress here:
    http://www.microlighters.co.za/viewt...=7627&start=75
    Last edited by Mogas; 05-28-2009 at 10:55 AM.

To MOGAS-I have a friend with a KFIV with the 2200-I'v flown with him several times-I'm impressed, maybe not quiet as strong as a 912 but a fine running machine and above all, he's very satisified with it. Something I'v noticed by reading the for sale adds in Barnstormers and Trade a Plane is that so many Lycs and Contintals have had a top end o.h. long before TBO.To each his own I guess.If you're happy,I'm happy.I've been flying a CGS Hawk for the last 12 years with a 503 Rotax and it's never let me down.I can't ask any engine to do any better than that.TBO came and went years ago. If you maintain it, it won't let you down.(no pun intended)
    Last edited by jrthomas; 05-27-2009 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks Mogas for the post. Good data to contemplate.

A few words about engine choices:
    No topic on an experimental aircraft forum will bring out more heated discussion, emotions and or sniping than engine choice. Engine choice is the one thing every builder really tries to, and needs to, do their homework on before committing to a purchase. We all have vested interests in the manufacturer we choose. We hang our lives on that choice every time we fly. If we have good success with a brand we'll feel good about recommending it to a new or prospective builder. People asking engine choice questions on a forum need facts. If you have experience with an engine brand, good or less than good, please contribute. That has real value to someone making such a large decision.

I already sense a slight deterioration of this thread so please let's keep it civil and helpful. Being enthusiastic about certain brand is no crime here but let's all try to incorporate something of value in our posts to the person asking for experienced opinions. Thanks for keeping it civil and Kitfox related.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear