Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Needed tools, chemicals, etc.

Default Needed tools, chemicals, etc.

Hello everybody! Starting my Kitfox in about a month! Just wondering what tools are mostly needed and what tools really helped you out the most. Also need to know what chemicals are best, epoxy, glue, bondos, whatever you used the most! This will be my first time building a plane, so fairly new at this. Thanks!

Default Re: Needed tools, chemicals, etc.

Everything to get started comes in the kit. Most of the work can be done with hand tools. It's handy to have a sander, drill press and Band Saw. I used small Harbor freight drill press and band saw. There are several builders in the area who are more than happy to help with our experience. Send me a PM and we can get in contact. I have a SS7 at Fairways in Oregon City.

Scott
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

A gallon of denatured alcohol.
    Lots of little shop rags.
    more popcycle sticks.
    more #30 drill bits (6 or so)
    the scitch brite pads ( Amazon)
    balsa blocks for stabilizer tips, elevator tips, vert stab tips.

Dremel tool with cuttoff wheels
    Harbor Freight air driven Rivet Puller unless you have pre built wings that the Lift Strut Brackets have already been installed at the factory.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Tools:
    Dremel with plastic and metal cutoff wheels and sanding drums.
    Bandfile
    cheap(ish) bandsaw.
    Pneumatic rivet puller
    The Kitfox builder's toolkit.
    Good respirator(s),
    Safety glasses
    Extra 1/8 clecos
    Handy to have some 3/16 clecos
    Plenty of spring clamps (2" and 6")
    Moving blankets (for supporting and protecting things)
    Digital level

Consumables:
    Popsicle sticks
    Lots of nitrile gloves.
    Waxless paper cups
    Maroon scotchbrite
    Ultra fine tip sharpie markers
    Blue painter's tape
    Strapping tape
    Giant box of shop rags. (blue shop towels are useful too, but they leave fuzz behind. You want a lot of lint-free shop rags on hand).

Chemicals:
    Plenty of denatured alcohol for cleaning
    Super Fil (buy one kit, you may need more, you may not)
    If Poly Fiber, you'll need extra poly brush, and enough poly spray, plus top coats. You can wait to order until you actually start covering. There's enough with the kit to get you well into the process. Just know that the Poly Fiber manual overestimates what you need. If you paint with Aerothane, the stuff is pricey, and the PF manual estimates about twice what you actually need. I would only order two gallons up front, (plus quart for trim color if necessary). Then order more if it becomes necessary.

I put this Amazon list together if helps with your shopping: http://a.co/bFMe70t
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Pretty nice shopping list Brian. I have used all that except the parts bin cart, but I seriously considered it as well.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Of course a pneumatic rivet puller is nice, but I used the hand puller that came in the Kitfox tool kit for the whole project, including wings built from scratch. Yes my hands became somewhat tired at times, but really no problem for this 69 year old guy.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Welcome aboard!

Brian's list is spot on.

I found it handy to have 2 Dremel tools handy one with a cut off wheel and one with a sanding drum.
    I had an older one and bought one of the newer more powerful Dremel's. Very handy.

For what it's worth - The dremel accessories are much better and pricier than the generic ones
    but they last a lot longer.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

The question in another thread about what tool to use to squeeze solid rivets got me to thinking about my Knipex pliers wrench. It works well for squeezing rivets and will replace a hand full of wrenches needed in your tool bag once you are flying. I have the 5 inch which is the smallest size. It not only will do a good job on rivets with it's 10 to 1 leverage... it can be used on nuts and bolt heads from 5/16" to 7/8" and no it will not round them off.
    https://www.amazon.com/KNIPEX-86-03-...gateway&sr=8-1
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Quote Originally Posted by t j View Post
    The question in another thread about what tool to use to squeeze solid rivets got me to thinking about my Knipex pliers wrench. It works well for squeezing rivets and will replace a hand full of wrenches needed in your tool bag once you are flying. I have the 5 inch which is the smallest size. It not only will do a good job on rivets with it's 10 to 1 leverage... it can be used on nuts and bolt heads from 5/16" to 7/8" and no it will not round them off.
    https://www.amazon.com/KNIPEX-86-03-...gateway&sr=8-1
    I have the same tool. Even though I have several riveting tools, I have used my Knipex to squeeze a rivet, just because it was readily at hand.

The big advantage of the Knipex is that the jaw are smooth and parallel, very important when squeezing rivets.

Ralph