Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin G3X components needed

Default Garmin G3X components needed

I am trying to find out what specific equipment is needed along with the Garmin G3X for VFR flight and to have ADS-b out and in? I already own the GSA-28 servos and GMC 305, GTR200 radio, Rami AV-11 antenna, and the GMU11 magnetometer. I know that I will need GPS and COMM antennas but I would like to know which specific ones. What other components do I need to put the system together? Obviously I am new to this and this is the first aircraft that I have built and will get my pilots license in.

Thank you,
    Michael

Default Re: Garmin G3X components needed

For the WAAS GPS I have the GA35 connected to the GTX345 ADSB in and out transponder. I will be purchasing the GA26C portable GPS puck antenna as a redundant antenna that Garmin recommends that I put on one of my GDUs. I don't recall what VHF antenna I have but wish I had done what others are doing with the Vertical Stabilizer mounted Antenna. They are getting good results with that.
    Depending on the engine you are using you may need some senders of some kind. I needed a fuel pressure sender for my 912iS. All the other senders were included in the 912iS purchase.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thank you for the response. I have looked at the GTX345 seems to be a little more than I need and is $5000. Is there a remote mounted system for ADS-b (in/out) by Garmin that is a little less money?

Garmin GTX 45R is a remote-mount in/out ADS-B compliant transponder for use with G3X.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Thank you,
    Do you know what Position Source GPS device would need to go along with the GTX 45R?

Quote Originally Posted by Michaels kitfox View Post
    Thank you,
    Do you know what Position Source GPS device would need to go along with the GTX 45R?
    From the Garmin website:
    The extra-precise GPS position reference required for ADS-B can be provided by a GTN 650/750 navigator, GNS series WAAS navigator (i.e. GNS 430/530)or a GPS 20A ADS-B position source.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    From the Garmin website:
    The extra-precise GPS position reference required for ADS-B can be provided by a GTN 650/750 navigator, GNS series WAAS navigator (i.e. GNS 430/530)or a GPS 20A ADS-B position source.
    Thank you all for the very useful information. There is a lot to learn and it is a very steep learning curve! And I did find out that the GPS 20A will work as a GPS Position Source for the GTX 45R and provide ADS-b in and out.
    Thanks again,
    Michael Verzwyvelt

Quote Originally Posted by Michaels kitfox View Post
    Thank you all for the very useful information. There is a lot to learn and it is a very steep learning curve! And I did find out that the GPS 20A will work as a GPS Position Source for the GTX 45R and provide ADS-b in and out.
    Thanks again,
    Michael Verzwyvelt
    You are right about the big learning curve.

I put the GPS-20A in my plane as the WAAS source for ADS-B Out via my GTX-23ES transponder. It has been working great. It looks like Garmin doesn't make the GTX-23 transponder any more, so you have the GTX-335/345/45R as options.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Michael,

Check your PMs. I'd like to help you out if you still need any assistance in selecting equipment for your airplane and your G3X suite.

For the rest of the group, there is a great experimental build sheet available on the Garmin website for selecting components and equipment. https://www8.garmin.com/aviation/pdf...al_pricing.pdf . As a disclaimer, I work in experimental sales for Garmin and occasionally surf these forums. I am a Kitfox fan, but need to get some other projects out of the way first . John and Deb have a great company and customer base.

Thanks,

Brad
    Brad Brensing
    Olathe, KS

Quote Originally Posted by flyby View Post
    Michael,

Check your PMs. I'd like to help you out if you still need any assistance in selecting equipment for your airplane and your G3X suite.

For the rest of the group, there is a great experimental build sheet available on the Garmin website for selecting components and equipment. https://www8.garmin.com/aviation/pdf...al_pricing.pdf . As a disclaimer, I work in experimental sales for Garmin and occasionally surf these forums. I am a Kitfox fan, but need to get some other projects out of the way first . John and Deb have a great company and customer base.

Thanks,

Brad
    Brad, Thank you for your response and information about the build sheet, it is very helpful if you know what you need or want. I did email you and look forward to your advise.

Michael