Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: BRS Parachute

Default BRS Parachute

I would like to know who has a BRS Parachute, if yes can you please share your model Kitfox & the location the chute was mounted.

Thank you,
    Jimmy

Default Re: BRS Parachute

Hi
    I have a BRS1200 ounted on a drilled aluminum plate under the Turtledeck behind the baggage sack on my Model 4. It is angled to fire slightly aft of the right wing through the fuselage horizontal. The firing cord finds its way to just above/behind the pilots head to the left side. -Kirby
    Kirby Cramer
    Kitfox 4, Built 1993
    NSI/Subaru 98HP, Warp Drive 70" three bade tapered ground adj. @ 22 deg. 90MPH cruise @ 3700 RPM.
    Elison throttle body, Dynon D3 VSI, ForeFlight/Ipad 10",
    uAvionix ADS-B in/out, Narco AT150 transponder, Icom 1220 VHF.
    460 Hours

I actually just ordered mine yesterday. I'm going to use the standard factory built mount location, which is just inside the baggage area and fires out the turtle deck. It's a model 6. You will need mounting brackets and modification to the turtle deck to allow the rocket to not be impeded when exiting. There is an install manual provided by BRS for the kitfox.

kitfoxegress.PNG
    brs.PNG
    handle.PNG
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Does anyone know how much weight this option adds and how much does it cost? I looked in the catalog and doesn’t give any details. With most of the flying I plan on doing I’m not sure it would be worth it. The stall speeds are so low in the Kitfox it would seem like most crashes would be survivable but I can definitely see some scenarios when it would be beneficial.

Right now you're talking 7k for one. Not sure of the weight off hand. As far as reasons to have it... to each their own. You'll have many people tell you it's a stupid idea and many that won't. You need to decide for yourself if it's right for you.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

I don't remember exactly but I think about 30 lbs in total for mine with the mount I made.

Here one for sale that lists specifications at closer to 23 lbs.:

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...95954000&ver=0
    Kirby Cramer
    Kitfox 4, Built 1993
    NSI/Subaru 98HP, Warp Drive 70" three bade tapered ground adj. @ 22 deg. 90MPH cruise @ 3700 RPM.
    Elison throttle body, Dynon D3 VSI, ForeFlight/Ipad 10",
    uAvionix ADS-B in/out, Narco AT150 transponder, Icom 1220 VHF.
    460 Hours

When I bought the Mangy, she had one installed. A hard case 1200# model. The pack and rocket were both out of date. All of the components I removed weighed 27#.

As as said before, this is a very personal choice. I chose to remove and sell the equipment.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by RedRooster View Post
    I don't remember exactly but I think about 30 lbs in total for mine with the mount I made.

Here one for sale that lists specifications at closer to 23 lbs.:

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...95954000&ver=0
    Thank you for sending this