Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: MGL EFIS and upgrades

Default MGL EFIS and upgrades

I am looking at an airplane that has an MGL EFIS and also has a mount for an iPad mini. I have never used nor really investigated the MGL units and am wondering if anyone has any reviews on them.

Since I am not an iPad person I am considering removing the mount and maybe getting another MGL with a larger screen ala glass panel. The plane is currently set up to use the table and EFIs with only a couple of other steam gauges: AS, VSI, Alt, and Turn and bank. I suppose it really doesn't need anything else but the 8.5" or 10.4" would be a little easier for my aging eyes to see. It would also be able to tie into what is already there. The closest I have h\ever been to any glass stuff is an AvMap GPS. I normally look out the window. Since this will (hopefully) be the last airplane I buy, I would like it set up nicely. Heck, I might even add an auto pilot in the future. Nah.....

What is the opinion on MGL stuff?

Default Re: MGL EFIS and upgrades

I installed MGL’s Explorer Lite in my 7SS project along with their V-6 transceiver. Haven’t flown behind it yet but wiring with their can-bus system seemed simple enough. Both lit up on test and no smoke so looks promising. The customizability of the screen looks open ended. Looking forward to flying behind it. Support has been excellent. Currently I’m flying behind a Dynon set up and if works flawlessly.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I looked at the DYnon, Garmin, et al when at Oshkosh and personally liked the Dynon. his plane already has the MGL unit installed and from what I am reading, it is 'easily' customizable. Well, I am NOT a computer geek! Heck, I have a hard enough time trying to post a picture on any site let alone program an electronic gizmo used for flying. I prefer to look out the window!

I will have to look into it some more and maybe try and find someone local that is more intune to these units so I can understand how to set it up the way I need. Thanks!!

The screen comes from MGL set up,with a generic layout that has everything most would need without reprogramming anything. I will likely fly the factory settings for a while and see if I want to adjust at all.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Yes sir, that is what I noticed when I powered it up. I would guess the manufacture set them up for standard use and it should be sufficient until the plane gets some time on it. I am going to bet that there will be other issues besides worrying about one instrument for a plane that has yet to even be flown much less given an AW certificate!

I have the large screen ( i think 8x10)original EFIS bought back in 2015 or so. It works fine. I bought the prewired cabling and sensors that are available.

MGL (Matt) was very helpful in setting items up. I had a faulty Xponder (not supplied by them) and they spent a fair amount of effort helping me troubleshoot it.

Tom Livermore
    SS7

Thanks Tom. I’m also happy to report that Matt and crew have provided very good support.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Hello. I have the MGL Challenger large EFIS lite. I only have 26 hrs on my Kitfox (still in Phase 1) but have been very impressed with the unit. Installation was very easy using their wiring harnesses. I also fly with an iPAD mounted in my panel. I have made a few modifications to the screen using their tool. Once you get the hang of it, its actually pretty easy. For example, the default screen for the Rotax 912is did not include coolant temp, so I added it. I also moved a couple things around. I also have had good support from Matt.
    Eric Joern
    Super Sport
    Flying!