Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Which portable gps to buy?

Default Which portable gps to buy?

I'm finally going to retire my garmin 196. I currently have it along with a 7" tablet and free app (avare) receiving adsb "in" from uavionics. Is there a portable gps that will receive my adsb "in" from uavionics, besides a tablet or ipad? I hear garmin doesn't play well with other equipment.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Default Re: Which portable gps to buy?

My iFly 740 works beautifully with the uAvionix unit. It also uses the very accurate info from the uAvionix WAAS gps instead of it’s own antenna/gps, automatically, when hooked up to it. So, no need for more than one remote gps antenna. The iFly seems to actually work quite well on the panel, with only its internal antenna, but it’s better using the uAvionix signal of course.
    Last edited by jrevens; 02-05-2019 at 11:52 AM.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Ken,

If you have the uAvionix echo UAT installed, it is directly compatible with the iFly gps and the two will wifi happily and display the ADS-B in on the iFly screen.

I bought an iFly GPS to replace my busted lowrance GPS and later installed the echo uat without knowing they were directly compatible - later was pleasantly surprised they work together.

Don't know if the price is what you are looking for - I believe the iFly goes for about $500. iFly provides a free initial chart subscription - I think it is $69 or so per year after that.

I have found both the uAvionics and iFly support (phone call or e-mail) to be good.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Thanks John and Dave. So you still have to pay a subscription fee annually for the maps? There is nothing out there that is subscription free and still provides "in"?
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

I really like my Garmin Aera 500. I've been very happy with it.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I also fly the Garmin Aera 500 with weather and traffic through their GDL-39. Great little unit.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by ken nougaret View Post
    Thanks John and Dave. So you still have to pay a subscription fee annually for the maps? There is nothing out there that is subscription free and still provides "in"?
    Hi Ken,

Yes... just like with Foreflight, FlyQ, Garmin Pilot, etc. used with tablets or other portable units. You can also get a one time update with FlyQ anytime, if you don't want or need an annual subscription, but it's not that much more for the annual. You're not forced to update it if you don't want to. I've owned Garmin GPS units ever since the early '90's, starting with the GPS-100. I've liked them, but I never updated my units more than once a year... usually right before I went to OSH. I thought their updates were too expensive. I'm not sure how much they are now for their devices or the Garmin Pilot app. You can install their apps I've mentioned on many different portable devices (I think that Foreflight is Apple only). There may be other free updatable programs that are able to display the ADS-B "in" info on various tablets or other units. I don't know. A problem from my perspective with Garmin has usually been in the past that Garmin was compatible with Garmin, period. There are cheaper ways to get ADS-B "in" on many different devices than by using a $600 GDL-39 with a Garmin unit. I don't mean to denigrate Garmin... they are very nice, easy to use portable units, in my experience.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Excellent explanation John and my thoughts exactly. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I like the looks and price of the ifly and I may go with it. Besides the annual map charge the only other thing that doesn't appeal to me is the short (emergency) battery life.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

I purchased the ifly 740b at sunnfun and tried it out today for the $100 hamburger. I like it a lot. Easy to use, easy to read, and adsb alerts are great. Thanks for the recommendations.
    Ken
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind