Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NR Propeller

Default NR Propeller

Received my new prop yesterday. It's an NR SR 106 2 blade scimitar style with a metal leading edge.
    Looks nice. Low weight is impressive, 9.9 lbs. all up weight including bolts, backing plate and spinner.
    Not including the 2" prop extension. The pitch tool is set at 16 deg. and can be adjusted plus or minus
    7 deg.

It will be awhile before I can do any testing

Air Trikes re-brands the Luga under "Kool", and some refer to the luga as an "NR prop", presumably
    the initials of the inventor (Nick Roman)

So:
    LUGA = KOOL = NR Prop.

Propeller.jpgpitch tool1.jpgPitch tool +7 or - 7 degrees.jpgPropeller total weight.jpg

Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Default Re: NR Propeller

Hmm, that sure is a different way to set the pitch. Are you worried at all about any flex in that rod that runs from the prop hub to the blade section?

The pitch tool is extremely stiff. Also looks like it was welded or soldered
    on the back side with witness marks.
    I tried to flex it a little and I couldn't deflect it.
    I'm sure I could bend/break it if I really put the muscle to it or stomped
    on it.

pitch tool2.jpgpitch tool3.jpg
    Last edited by bbs428; 02-05-2019 at 10:51 AM.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by WWhunter View Post
    Hmm, that sure is a different way to set the pitch. Are you worried at all about any flex in that rod that runs from the prop hub to the blade section?
    I have a Kiev prop that is a very similar design and it uses an identical pitch tool. It's very simple and it works very well. Flex is not an issue. I wonder if all these similar props are designed and built by the same people.

My understanding is they were all designed by Nick Roman
    and marketed under different names. Luga being the most well known.

Brett Butler

Ok, that explains it better. I thought it was just that screw holding the shaft. I could see that pivoting slightly if not very tight. But being welded, makes much more sense. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    Received my new prop yesterday. It's an NR SR 106 2 blade scimitar style with a metal leading edge.
    Looks nice. Low weight is impressive, 9.9 lbs. all up weight including bolts, backing plate and spinner.
    Not including the 2" prop extension. The pitch tool is set at 16 deg. and can be adjusted plus or minus
    7 deg.

It will be awhile before I can do any testing

Air Trikes re-brands the Luga under "Kool", and some refer to the luga as an "NR prop", presumably
    the initials of the inventor (Nick Roman)

So:
    LUGA = KOOL = NR Prop.

Propeller.jpgpitch tool1.jpgPitch tool +7 or - 7 degrees.jpgPropeller total weight.jpg

I bought the NR SR118 and mine shows 17 degrees. Is 17 degrees the the large longer middle line and then you can go plus or minus 1 degree at a time?

Thanks! That is helpful

Exactly correct.
    The large middle line is the 17deg (in your case) (mine is 16 deg) and you can add or minus degrees from that setting.

Brett Butler

Perfect! Thanks for the help!