Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel tank banjo fitting.

Default Fuel tank banjo fitting.

I was wondering if anyone has come up with a banjo fitting installed in the fuel tank supply port. I have not been able to find one that has pipe threads. This would be a nice type of fitting to use and easier to remove to check the finger strainers at inspection.
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

Default Re: Fuel tank banjo fitting.

I think I recall seeing Josh Esser retrofit his. If he doesn't chime in on this thread, maybe send him a PM. I wish I had banjo fittings. It's a good idea.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Kitfox has one.

Yep I got my retrofit kit from Kitfox.
    0B8BBE7A-C97F-4324-8454-8B1E155E7CB7.jpg
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

My friend got his from Kitfox, but didn’t like them. So, he made it with a lower profile. His is the bottom one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you all for your replies. I like the low profile idea. I wonder what it would take to machine out the tapered threads and cut in straight threads. Also would need a machined surface for the crush washer to seat against.
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

Personally, I like the better free flow characteristics of a plain 90 degree fitting. If you keep the tank outboard as much as possible and relieve some of the #1 rib, a standard 90 degree fitting can be assembled/disassembled OK. You will also need an access panel on the underside of the wing.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Actually, the banjo fitting probably has very similar flow characteristics as the “standard” elbow, which has 2 intersecting holes with a sharp corner at the bend. At any rate, flow capability will probably be well more than necessary. Also, being able to remove it without rotating the fitting is nice. Only improvement I would like would be to utilize a brass bushing going into the tank, and then have a finger strainer attached to whatever goes into that. Then the threaded connection into the fiberglass of the tank wouldn’t have to be disturbed to check/clean the strainer, which would be good.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I didn't mean to imply that a banjo fitting would increase flow restriction to any dangerous degree; I just personally want as good a flow as possible because when I did my fuel flow test with my nose up at about 20 degrees, the gravity flow did reduce to not much reserve. I know this test is overkill, but I did it anyway since I do not have any electric backup fuel pump.

I do disagree with your statement that the banjo has very similar flow to a standard elbow. In my hydraulics training we were taught how to calculate pressure drop thru these kind of fittings and it has mostly to do with flow areas and the number of 90 degree bends. A standard elbow has one sharp bend. A banjo has 3 sharp bends. Different brands of banjos have somewhat different flow areas to partially make up for the extra bends. Bottom line, this is all probably just academic and not worth worrying about, but I felt better with a standard elbow.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I had to go to the banjo, I did not have room for my 90deg elbow. I do agree with you John that a fitting the strainer could go into would be nice.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3