Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fuel tank banjo fitting.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Fuel tank banjo fitting.

I didn't mean to imply that a banjo fitting would increase flow restriction to any dangerous degree; I just personally want as good a flow as possible because when I did my fuel flow test with my nose up at about 20 degrees, the gravity flow did reduce to not much reserve. I know this test is overkill, but I did it anyway since I do not have any electric backup fuel pump.

I do disagree with your statement that the banjo has very similar flow to a standard elbow. In my hydraulics training we were taught how to calculate pressure drop thru these kind of fittings and it has mostly to do with flow areas and the number of 90 degree bends. A standard elbow has one sharp bend. A banjo has 3 sharp bends. Different brands of banjos have somewhat different flow areas to partially make up for the extra bends. Bottom line, this is all probably just academic and not worth worrying about, but I felt better with a standard elbow.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I had to go to the banjo, I did not have room for my 90deg elbow. I do agree with you John that a fitting the strainer could go into would be nice.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I do disagree with your statement that the banjo has very similar flow to a standard elbow. In my hydraulics training we were taught how to calculate pressure drop thru these kind of fittings and it has mostly to do with flow areas and the number of 90 degree bends. A standard elbow has one sharp bend. A banjo has 3 sharp bends. Different brands of banjos have somewhat different flow areas to partially make up for the extra bends. Bottom line, this is all probably just academic and not worth worrying about, but I felt better with a standard elbow.
    Thanks Jim... I don't doubt that you're right. I'm just thinking about a banjo fitting I'm looking at right now... the flow path is through the hollow bolt, then exits through 3 equally spaced holes around the circumference of the bolt into the "banjo chamber" (for lack of a different term). The combined area of those 3 holes exceeds the I.D. of the outlet barb by quite a bit. Also, any one of those 3 holes is probably going to be very close to the inlet of the barb. Some banjo fittings may have only 1 or 2 holes. I don't want to bore anyone, and you're right... it's probably not worth worrying about. I do always appreciate your knowledge of hydraulics.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Anyone know the size on the banjo fittings? Looks like I am going to need to switch my 90 out because I think I have a leak. I have a message to kitfox, but may try and source one local?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

For those who have installed the banjo fittings, I'm trying to find out what torque setting you used. I can't find anything specific to these fittings. Found a chart for banjo fittings for brakes which show 95-115 in-lbs with a max of 125. Sound about right? I realize you're just trying to get a good seal on the crush washers but my "feels about right" setting has diminished with my advancing years. Thanks for any help.

Rick

probably not but a fixed 90 would require that you spin that fitting round and round. That fitting gets obstructed by the cap strip of the Number One rib. Mine will likely need to be cut off if it needs replacing. For now, an endoscope is used to verify my strainer is clear of debris.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

No doesn't save any room. Sticks out as far or farther than a street 'L' 90. But.... you don't have to worry about an access panel under the wing to be able to unscrew a 90 to get the finger strainer out. Also, you don't have to play the "just a little farther and hope I don't strip out the fiberglass game" to get the 90 pointed in the right direction.

Attachment 26467
    access 2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does that really save any room compared to a single 90 degree fitting screwed directly into the strainer?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS