Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Scott 3200

Default Scott 3200

Hi all,

Can anyone offer advice on how snug the Scott 3200 tailwheel head should be to the fork. I just rebuilt it. After a taxi test the fork seemed a bit loose so I tightened to where there was no lateral movement. Another taxi test and then once around the pattern. It loosened up some again, not as much as before, but there is still some lateral movement. My inclination is to tighten it again but.....??

I'm a low time tailwheel driver and a new Kitfox owner.

Thanks.

Mike Zimmering
    N529DS, 7SS

Default Re: Scott 3200

You talking the breakaway or the caster? I’d want the breakaway as snug as I could while ensuring it would actually break away. The caster I’d want snug but not overly tight.

I guess it would be the caster. The break away is fine. Essentially, I can wiggle the fork. Hard to describe.

Mike

I’ll check mine in the morning and report back.

Mike,

Once it breaks away it casters freely. Not too tight. Not too loose. Make sense?

It seems like a lot of other aircraft stuff, experience is the best teacher. I did find a writeup in KitPlanes which indicated that you should not have any side-to-side movement of the fork after tightening the kingpin.

Thanks.....Mike