Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
I’m not understanding your question. I have a 914 with an AirMaster. Not familiar with your CS setup now but I’m assuming you can just block it off and use the AirMaster electric bracket.
Thanks for the reply. The devil is always in the details or so it seems. This particular 914UL is listed by serial number as a Version 2. (The different versions 2,3,4 have to do with how prop shafts and gearboxes are configured. (At least that is what I'm getting out of the Illustrated Parts Catalog. Don't quote me on that I could be totally off about this and/or there could be way more than I understand to it.) Anyway, this engine has the optional hydraulic prop governor for a constant speed propeller. After the crash, it was decided to change all of this to an electrically controlled Airmaster. The Hydr. governor and it's associated drive gear come off and that leaves holes in the back of the gearbox that need to be covered. Obviously, there needs to be a plate bolted in place. Another concern is the rear bearing supporting the prop shaft. There were ports in the Hydr. governor mounting plate that appeared to provide oil to lubricate that bearing. If we fashion a simple cover plate to block off the back of the gearbox will this very important bearing suffer from oil starvation? There are a few other differences too that need to be addressed in this conversion, but I've already gone on long enough.

My question is: Has anyone converted a 914 with a hydraulic prop governor to an Airmaster with the electric control? I'm trying not to reinvent the wheel here and am concerned about the reliability of the engine.

SAM_0964.jpgSAM_0962.jpgSAM_0963.jpg