Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Fuselage fabric

Default Fuselage fabric

When installing the side panels of fabric on the fuselage, does it end at the door frame, or does it wrap up over the bottom of the door flange? Pictures?

Thanks,

steve

Default Re: Fuselage fabric

My fabric wraps all the way over the door frame, as shown in the picture. I’m then putting a tight fitting stainless steel U channel over the door frame after final painting to act as a scuff surface. This effectively captures the fabric if you wrap it like this. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David
    SS7 Builder

Not sure what model you are covering, but what I did on the sides on an Avid Flyer and Kitfox 4 is cover the rear of the plane up to just under the rear of the door frame opening with one piece of fabric. I ended the bottom front of that piece of fabric by wrapping it around and gluing it to one of the short tubes at the back corner of the door frame. Then I covered the area under the door with a separate scrap piece of fabric. The finish tape will cover the seam you end up with. You can do it all with one piece of fabric, but if you do, you will waste over a yard of more fabric on each side when you cut out the door area. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by David47 View Post
    My fabric wraps all the way over the door frame, as shown in the picture...

Does it wrap all the way over the top and to the end of the flange on the inside of the door frame? Also, where do I find the U channel for scuff resistance, and how are you going to secure it in place?

Thanks,

Steve

I did like David. It wraps all the way over to the inside bottom of flange. I made my own U-channel scuff piece from thin aluminum (I had access to a sheet metal bending brake). Others have used stainless steel. I believe Kitfox may now sell these pieces.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I glued on the scuff channel with Hysol.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

First, I tried to source the right size channel and I found that I couldn't find the correct size. I then had a metal shop quote me a price to make some and I didn't like the price. So, I purchased the stainless channels from kitfox. I only had the bottom edge. They make a very clean product and I liked it a lot. I was going to buy the other two pieces but I have a friend that got his dad to fabricate me some channel from his scrap Stainless in his shop. They are nice but I still liked the stuff Kitfox made me. It has a smoother finish and the bend radius is softer than what I have but my stuff was free. I believe KF sells two pieces for $75. Don't quote me though, prices tend to creep up over time.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy66 View Post
    Does it wrap all the way over the top and to the end of the flange on the inside of the door frame?..
    What Jim said. Hysol is brilliant stuff as long as the surface prep. is properly done. It will give it a nicely finished appearance as well as provide protection from big boots.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Thank you everyone for all the information.

Steve