Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fire Extinguisher

Default Re: Fire Extinguisher

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I keep my small Halon extinguisher in the baggage pocket right behind the passengers head for quick easy access by the pilot.
    That's a place I hadn't thought of, Jim... however - I've gotten into unexpected turbulence a few times over the years where anything not tied down could've become dangerous to my health. Something as heavy as the small Halon extinguishers could potentially be lethal, or at the least cause some pretty bad damage in the cockpit. Just something to consider.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Good point John.

Maybe some well placed hook and loop fasteners would keep the fire
    extinguisher from becoming a missile hazard ?
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Just out of curiosity, Does anyone know how often a fire extinguisher is needed or used in the cabin? Statistics?...
    I'm sure it's pretty rare, Dave. However, if you need it, and you have to dig for it, it might be too late. I have a friend who suffered a stuck, dragging brake (somehow ignored or unnoticed) that caused a fire which traveled up the brake line and into the engine compartment. This all happened during his taxi from hanger to the run-up area. When he saw the smoke he grabbed the extinguisher and jumped out to attack the fire. There was serious damage to the airplane, but he told me that if it had taken him only a few more seconds the airplane would've been a complete loss. Though rare, cockpit fires do occur. I wouldn't want to suffer a fuel leak on a line running through the cockpit, for instance, and not have an extinguisher easily at hand... just in case.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I have an aviation H3R Halon fire extinguisher. I mounted it at the front right corner of my baggage compartment floor where I can readily reach it.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Hey Steve, with regard to your not seeing Brian's post on the fire extinguisher. I notice that on one computer Brian's post has a blue colored link "this one" on post #3. I came home and got on my computer, read your post about not seeing the fire extinguisher. I went back to post number 3 and on my home computer I cant really make out the blue link. Try going back to post #3 and put your cursor on those words "this one". Bet it works for you then. I am finding that since the upgrade, there are colors that have become a bit difficult to make out. The other one I noticed right away, as others have noted as well, is the little envelope that is blue which indicates a post I have not opened. In the beginning I couldn't notice the slight color difference between posts I had read and the new ones. Somehow it is obvious to me now, I guess I have trained eyes now.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Hey Steve, with regard to your not seeing Brian's post on the fire extinguisher. I notice that on one computer Brian's post has a blue colored link "this one" on post #3. I came home and got on my computer, read your post about not seeing the fire extinguisher. I went back to post number 3 and on my home computer I cant really make out the blue link. Try going back to post #3 and put your cursor on those words "this one". Bet it works for you then. I am finding that since the upgrade, there are colors that have become a bit difficult to make out. The other one I noticed right away, as others have noted as well, is the little envelope that is blue which indicates a post I have not opened. In the beginning I couldn't notice the slight color difference between posts I had read and the new ones. Somehow it is obvious to me now, I guess I have trained eyes now.
    I didn't catch that "this one" was a link either - thought he forgot to put it in. Maybe the color could be changed to something more distinct?

Greg

So educate me. I see Bass Pro Shops has boat type fire extinguishers from $29.99 to $39.99. All engine equipped boats are required to have one. They're supposedly good for fuel and electrical fires. Spruce cabin type extinguishers start at $161.99 up to $1029.00. Considering everything aviation related is priced "skyward", are these expensive extinguishers superior to the boat type?

They won’t corrode your plane when the media settles everywhere
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Esser's comment on corrosion and fire extinguishers is to be taken seriously.

The ingredient in "dry chemical" fire extinguishers (which I believe is what is used in boat FEs) is Ammonium phosphate (monoammonium phosphate or diammonium phosphate but often a combination of both)

Ammonium phosphate is a primary ingredient in agricultural fertilizers which supplies nitrogen and phosphorous.

Bottom line is it is a salt which, with a little atmospheric moisture, makes a really, really good corrosive electrolyte.

Think of discharging a dry chem FE inside an airplane as backing up a fertilizer spreader to your panel/cockpit and letting 'er rip.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I'm pretty sure most dry chemical fire extinguishers warn against using in confined spaces.
    Bartman
    Retired USAF
    Kitfox 5
    N617BR