Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fire Extinguisher

Default Re: Fire Extinguisher

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Just out of curiosity, Does anyone know how often a fire extinguisher is needed or used in the cabin? Statistics?
    I think about this question a lot. When my wife and I went down in my emergency landing - crash. We were sitting in the cockpit on the ground both dampened with fuel. My wife says her hair was smelling of fuel until it was washed in the hospital so not sure if we would have survived with or without an extinguisher. To the question - in the years since about 1995 when the early Kitfox email forums began I have no recollection of any reported inflight fire. A friend had a fire in his engine compartment while preheating one winter, but am unsure whether he used a cabin or hangar mounted fire extinguisher. I have experienced the stuck brake, but only melted the brake line - no fire.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

In my 36 years Flying for the airlines, I can say that I never on any flight had to discharge a fire extinguisher, either in the cockpit cabin or in the engine compartments... we did all that in the simulators. However, we had one halon 1301 extinguisher in the cockpit and 2 to 3 in the cabin. Back in the mid-80s the environmental protection agency decided that Halen was depleting the ozone layer so they begin looking for an alternative to Halon 1301. the airlines however were grandfathered in and still use them. We also carried a pressurized water extinguisher for class a fires.
    If you want a good fire extinguisher for a class B & C fire, I would recommend the Co2 extinguisher, they are electrically non-conductive. carbon dioxide is a clean non-contaminating orderless gas which is very easy to clean up after a discharge. I wouldn’t be to concerned with the class A fire because those are just combustible material that can easily be extinguished with a can of water, can of soda or a cup of coffee etc...

If you’re worried about fuel lines running under your seat and leaking, then I think You may want to invest in a parachute. When you do your preflight just make sure you check for leaks. I hope to have my S7 Speedster flying in the fall of this year. Haven’t been able to work on it lately because I’ve been depleting my wood supply which is the only way I can heat my shop. Larry Spear...retired

Ah! Nothing better than sitting by the wood stove, knapping on a Sunday afternoon!

Has anyone used these? Or have one? https://elementfire.com/
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

That looks like a possibility, but it's not Halon. I like that it is very compact and light weight. The price is also good compared to an aircraft Halon unit.

The downside seems to be that it actually works like a flare and has a fire burning for about a minute. Could it restart a fire? If you hold it wrong you may get burnt and drop it. You definitely will need to ventilate your cockpit immediately (open the doors).

They could be a great thing to have at your hangar.

Here is a good article about fire extinguishers for aircraft:
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ingarticle.pdf
    Last edited by PapuaPilot; 07-02-2019 at 07:07 PM.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks! Good read.

The one I mention above does seem nice. I like the compactness and you can also get a rollbar mount. It's not officially approved in North America by the UL agency, so if you require "approved" extinguishers it doesn't look like this will work.

I decided to buy a few regardless. I've been meaning to replace existing ones in the house and work shop. I like that they don't expire. Most of the time I don't think about checking the ones around the house (and thus why i need to replace them anyway).
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO