Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: side windows

Default side windows

Has anyone not put in the glass in the side windows and just covered with fabric. Have you found a good advantage of having the windows, any problems with water leaking?

Default Re: side windows

If you are talking about the side triangle windows, I have been thinking of just covering them over myself. Be interesting to see if anyone else has done it.

Curious why? Are you just thinking one less thing to do or prefer the look? I have heard of many just use 3m two sided tape to stick them in. I covered mine before cutting them out for the ease of covering. Looked like a covered window, not my favorite.

Put the little windows in.
    You can thank me after the first time you fly with one or more other aircraft.

Flown several “taped” in quarter window Kitfoxs with no leaks.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I show friends video of Kyle Franklin flying the Speedster at Airventure and not one person has ever viewed without commenting about the wide open views. It is absolutely one of the highlights of the design. Why would you omit it?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I'm getting the fuselage ready for recovering, and will soon be making a larger frame for a longer side window. Right now the plan is to go back 28 inches from the door post, 12 inches high, and it might also become the side wall for the turtle deck. Besides the extra visibility, any future maintenance and inspection will be easier.

I taped mine in with the 3M VHB tape. It's easy, and a very clean look. I haven't flown it yet, but if you haven't used that tape before, believe me, those windows aren't going to leak or pop out. That stuff does not like to unstick.

Unless you object to aesthetics somehow, I'm not sure why you'd skip those windows as easy as they are to install.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I also used the 3M double stick VHB tape with great success.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thank you for all the responses and the comments. The reason I asked was to see how many of you thought these were very important to the visability out of the plane. So this is confirmed, it must be a bit of a challenge to look back to see traffic without these windows. I fly a tandem plane now and it is easy to see all around and back. I will be cutting the fabric out tomorrow for the future install of the windows.

Great forum.

Actually to be honest, I really don't use those triangular windows much for traffic or scenery, but I like the looks of them and the ability to see in that direction if necessary. After 5.5 years of flying they have become much less optically clear than the other acrylic windows and doors. I suppose its because they are Lexan rather than acrylic and tend to scratch and haze more easily.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS