Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LED Wingtip Lights for $150

Default Re: LED Wingtip Lights for $150

Experimental aircraft may not have to use certified lighting but I will assume that the lights used must meet the the same requirements written in the F.A.R.s regarding aircraft lighting for night flight.

Using these type lights for enhanced recognition seems reasonable after F.A.R.s for night flight lighting are met. In 50 plus years of flying I don’t ever recall seeing flashing nav lights and assume they would not meet the standard. I also personally would not use any color flashing light facing forward other than white and maybe amber but am not sure on the legality of amber either.

Curious what others think about other than white recognition lights. I think about how Draco is lit and all, other than nav lights, are white and face all directions. No way you could miss Draco in flight but few of us produce enough electrical power in our Kitfoxs to light all those lights.

Obviously a red flashing beacon is legal on fuselage or vertical stabilizer.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Experimental aircraft may not have to use certified lighting but I will assume that the lights used must meet the the same requirements written in the F.A.R.s regarding aircraft lighting for night flight.
    Steve,
    You are correct concerting Nav lights. They do not have to be certified, but they must meet the same specified standards concerning color, lumens and direction of visibility. It is by this range of visibility that you can discern the direction of flight of another aircraft at night, and the other aircraft can determine yours.

Ralph

If it's a day VFR machine in the US do you still have to conform to the light directions i.e 0 - 110 degrees?

I'm not stirring the pot (as you chaps say) but just interested if you have classifications of day/night/VFR/IFR etc that would allow lights such as these, which shine through 180 degrees-ish, instead of the certified directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Skipatrol View Post
    We don't have to to use certified lights here in USA on experimentals. I looked at the cost of certified lights and couldn't believe how expensive they were.
    This is true only if you don't plan to operate at night. In that case you must have certified (TSO) lights.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSS View Post
    If it's a day VFR machine in the US do you still have to conform to the light directions i.e 0 - 110 degrees?
    Position/Nav lights, if installed must comply, regardless of operating conditions. (Day/Night - VFR/IFR) and not flashing.

Aircraft Warning lights are different, I believe they must be either white strobe or red flashing.

Ralph

Hey there Kitfox fans,

I am searching for navigation lights and like the Avio Ultra 360. My only concern is the payment options available from Avio. Choices are a wire transfer or credit card. I get a little antsy using a credit card for overseas transactions. Has anyone dealt with Avio? Any problems?

Also, as long as I’m thinking about lights, what about landing lights? I upgraded my wing tips but the space is limited for landing lights ( Microsun is off the table, too speedy). I found off road lights that will work from Baja Design, BD S2 Pro, flush mount. What have others used? Just looking for options.

Thank you
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

No issue with ordering from Avio with a credit card. Europe is a pretty safe bet. Your credit card provider most likely already has fraud protection in place at no cost to you.

I'm happy with my Avio, I made my own landing light. Much brighter and lighter than most options I've seen out there. Here is a picture for comparison (Both planes had wig wag on so only one light is shining in the picture.

The white plane has Baja Design S2's

Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 10.47.07 AM.png
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier Fox View Post
    Hey there Kitfox fans,

I am searching for navigation lights and like the Avio Ultra 360. My only concern is the payment options available from Avio.
    I have been really happy with the lights I purchased from Superbrightleds. I looked on their website and they also have lights for off road vehicles that would work as landing lights https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...onal-vehicles/
    George
    Granite Bay, CA.
    Kitfox Light Squared
    912ULS Tri Gear

My YouTube Channel

I love my AeroLEDs. They happen to be a sponsor of this forum as well.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X