Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Radio Static From Trim

Question Radio Static From Trim

Almost every time I adjust the trim on my Kitfox 5, I hear static in my headset. I doesn't happen every time, but most times. Any ideas what could cause this?
    Bartman
    Retired USAF
    Kitfox 5
    N617BR

Default Re: Radio Static From Trim

Assuming you have electric trim it sounds like a ground loop. Are you using the airframe as a ground return for all your services? Try running a separate ground from the trim motor to the battery and see if you still get the same. The only other thing that I can think of would be the trim motor being close to the wires in your headset circuit (not the headset itself but the wires running to the headset plugs) and inducing the static. Does it happen to both headsets at the same time? If it's only one side then it would be a simple matter of routing that headset's wires away from the motor.

tip I got from Garmin ground trim motors as close to the trim motor as you can

D Kelm 7SS
    Garmin G3X
    912iS Big Bore

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSS View Post
    Assuming you have electric trim it sounds like a ground loop. Are you using the airframe as a ground return for all your services? Try running a separate ground from the trim motor to the battery and see if you still get the same. The only other thing that I can think of would be the trim motor being close to the wires in your headset circuit (not the headset itself but the wires running to the headset plugs) and inducing the static. Does it happen to both headsets at the same time? If it's only one side then it would be a simple matter of routing that headset's wires away from the motor.
    I am not the builder, so I'm not sure how everything is grounded. It does happen to both headsets at the same time.
    Bartman
    Retired USAF
    Kitfox 5
    N617BR

Quote Originally Posted by dcsfoto View Post
    tip I got from Garmin ground trim motors as close to the trim motor as you can

D Kelm 7SS
    Garmin G3X
    912iS Big Bore

This pretty much goes against all the theory in AeroElectric connection. Everything should go to a common ground to prevent ground loop. My Kit was supplied with 2 wire cable that would reach from the firewall to the tail.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Yeh, that's opposite of what I have read and therefore did in my build. Haven't really tested the audio yet. Crossing my fingers.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

At his seminar, Bob Nuckols said to have an avionics ground and an electrical system ground and at some point, connect the two grounds.