Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: poor man's bluetooth headset

Default poor man's bluetooth headset

I have struggled with a way to utilize the audio alerts from the samsung tablet I use for navigation in my airplane until now. With the app I use as with most apps an obstacle alert is generated when towers are ahead, and now that I have ADSB installed (Uavionix) traffic alerts are also generated . I have tried several ways to get these alerts reliably in my old DRE 6000 headsets . These headsets are ANR and work great, so replacing them with a $1000 bluetooth capable new headset did not set right with my budget, so as a true homebuilder , I tried several ways to get the audio into my headset with ear buds , and even a small bluetooth speaker suction cupped to the outside of my headset. The problem was always lack of volume and comfort. Then Eureka , I found this JUMBL STEREO BLUETOOTH RECEIVER on amazon for about 20 bucks and it works great. It plugs into the 1/8" music input plug on my intercom system and will bluetooth my tablet audio thru the intercom into my headset with volume control that allow the alerts/music to be heard loud and clear . As you can see in the photo its about the size of a 50 cent piece and has volume/audio controls on the front with a clip on the back. the only negative I have found is that it can only recognize one device at a time. Bruce N199CL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: poor man's bluetooth headset

Wow - great info. Appreciate the post!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Smile Re: poor man's bluetooth headset

That is great thanks for sharing.
    I'm going to get this and try it!
    Kitfox 5 Vixon
    Flying

Just got home from flying this morning . No sooner than I departed my country airstrip and was climbing out I got a traffic advisory loud and clear at 12 oclock and 1 mile ahead . Before the bluetooth receiver these aural warning would go unheard and i would have had to seen the traffic on the tablet. I don't fly staring at the tablet so the aural advisories and alerts are a huge bonus to making the operation safer. For 20 bucks a pretty sweet upgrade. Forgot to mention in my initial post that all you really need is the ability to plug the jumbl in to your headset thru a 1/8" plug and you are good to go , for instance if you don't have a music input to an intercom like i do . I had an old cheapo corded music headset at home that I plugged into the bluetooth receiver and it worked fine at bluetoothing to devices. Bruce N199CL

Thanks Bruce. I took a look on Amazon. Looks like a very low cost solution.
    Not much of a gamble at that price.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Thanks Bruce. I took a look on Amazon. Looks like a very low cost solution.
    Not much of a gamble at that price.
    Hi Steve, My thoughts exactly, if it didn't work I wasn't out much, but I am very happy with its simplicity and function so far. On a side note thank you for your efforts with the new format and fixes on Teamkitfox-its great to be able to attach pictures easily again. As I always did , builders like pictures-keeps me from having to do a ton of one finger typing! Bruce N199CL

its great to be able to attach pictures easily again
    Amen Bruce. Still working the kinks out and may be for awhile. This upgrade was like going from a model T to a Tesla.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Excellent idea Bruce. I have a similar unit plugged into my garage stereo that I have used for years. The stereo is old but I made a lead that plugs in the back aux ports.
    What intercom do you have? I have an old pm1000 in my plane and it doesn't have an input port.
    Ken
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Howdy Ken, I have the basic PS engineering PM 501 (i suspect even more basic than your PM 1000) that I installed when I built the plane long ago. I looked up your PM 1000 and it looks very similar to my PM 501,and after looking at your wiring diagram (googled it) , you have the capability for a music input . Its any easy addition on pin 20 and 7 of the Sub -D ,back of intercom plug, 2 wires supplying a 1/8" female music jack that I placed next to my headset jacks. Then the bluetooth receiver plugs into this to provide the bluetooth capability thru the intercom. Hope this helps Bruce N199CL

Sounds good Bruce, I'll look it up. BTW, I'm liking my new tires.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind