Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Radio static

Default Re: Radio static

David, are you saying the actual instrument panel needs grounding?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Yes, I had to ground my Dynon Skyview panel.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Was your static all the time or just when you press the mic? I will check the grounds though when I get a warm day

I never had any static, maybe because I grounded the panel as instructed from the get-go.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Jim,

I think you might be confusing people with what 'panel' you're talking about. I think you're talking about your Dynon EFIS 'panel' but others are talking about the instrument panel itself i.e. the metal thing with holes drilled in it. It might be useful if you clarified which 'panel' you are referring to.

You are right Paul, I need to clarify: My Skyview EFIS panel is grounded to my instrument panel, so therefore I had to ground my instrument panel to my common ground buss that grounds everything else. Hope that's clear.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

It is to me

In the RV8 that I have been involved with (helping would probably be stretching the truth) the Skyview was grounded directly to the common ground. In fact, every ground ran back to the common ground and then to the battery. This, in theory, reduces the chance of ground loops whereas grounding first to something like the instrument panel and then the common ground creates another pathway through which the stray wigglies can wander and cause trouble. Of course, it doesn't happen all the time (as yours proves) but I think it is becoming more recognised that the airframe, panel etc are not the best ways to route ground wires. I think if an aircraft is very basic then it doesn't matter so much but with the sensitive EFIS, radio, EMS kit that is around nowadays the problem is more likely to rear its head.

I guess I need some more clarification of my situation. I agree 100% with you Paul, so my EFIS ground wire goes to a terminal/stud on my instrument panel, and then from this same stud to my common ground buss. So its like one continuous ground wire with no paths thru the frame or the panel itself.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Even better

Yes, that sounds like a good setup because it's effectively an instrument ground bus that then connects to the common ground bus. That's a good way to keep the nasties away and much better than using the instrument panel itself via the airframe. Well, that's the thinking of people that know about these things. I just read what they've written