Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Insurance quotes

Angry Insurance quotes

Has anyone quoted insurance lately? I have a M4 speedster with Rotax 912ul.

Have the flying clowns screwed up everything for us?

For the past 4 years I had liability only for 300, this year it more than doubled. I had 0 hours tailwheel and 0 make model when I first got the plane. I’m only 48 so it’s not an age thing. I just added my IFR rating and have 100+ TW/kitfox hours. No accident history. Perfect credit score.

I wanted to add my daughter to my policy, 19, 150hrs, almost IFR, TW endorsed, 10 hrs make/model and liability goes to almost 1k and they want a cfi checkout. With hull, it goes to almost 2k, with 2500 deductible. What’s the purpose of hull at that rate? I set the hull at only 20k.

Maybe it’s the fact I fly skis for 2 months?

frustrated,

Mike

Default Re: Insurance quotes

Hi Mike, my liability insurance doubled last year as well on my Avid Flyer. The Chief with hull insurance I'm half owner in stayed the same though. I have Falcon ins. Last summer I was going to put my flying partner onto my Avid insurance. They wanted him to get something like 3 hrs with a CFI. I was able to convince them to accept 5 hrs with me and then 5 or 10 solo before passengers. The increase in my liability had happened several months before the discussions about putting my partner onto the policy so that had nothing to do with raising my rates. Mn does have a state run risk insurance plan that is very low priced and meets the legal requirements. To bad it is only for planes up to 1150 gross weight so you probably can't use it. I may go that way this spring with my Avid. Here is a link to that insurance website. Look at the eleventh one down on the list, it's for Light Sport aircraft but it's only for passenger liability, which is all Mn requires apparently. JImChuk https://www.mjua.org/applications--resources.html

Mike, Don't feel singled out, because I just went thru the same thing in the fall. I had been with Falcon ins. (liability only-at $295) for many years and the premium was always the same until last fall, it jumped up 53%. Of course i called and asked what gives ,and was told that is the new trend for aviation insurance. That wasn't acceptable to me , so I shopped around and was getting the same , sometimes higher quotes with the same story. I was getting close to dropping it completely and quit giving rides , until a buddy told me to try Avemco and while still higher at $355 for liability only ,it was my best choice it I wanted to insure.Flying history and time in type don't seem to matter , as I have 900 accident/incident free hours in my Kitfox . Bruce N199CL

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    Hi Mike, my liability insurance doubled last year as well on my Avid Flyer.

Wonder if I can just lower my gross weight and go with that. My model 4 is only 1200 anyways and 99.9% of the time I fly solo so I'm less than 1000 lbs with myself and full gas.

MJH

A guy on the Avid Forum found out about this insurance, and told me about it. He had no Avid or Kitfox time, and they quoted him something like $210 a year and no CFI sign off. You could contact them and see what they say I suppose. JImChuk

I just did the whole insurance thing and have avemco. I have hull at 45K and liability. I had 7 hours of TW and 0 in a kitfox and ~150 TT. They quoted me at $2300. I had to do 10 hours of dual instruction. Once I got to like 21 hours of time in my Kitfox it dropped to $2100. Still expensive and I have the hull pretty high but I want to make sure if I bang up grandpas KF that I can get it all back to 100%. And being a low time TW guy i'm not ignorant to the fact I'm high risk.

The way avemco does their calculations is in a tier system. For home built aircraft they add up your TT, TW, Retracts, and Type time. All those numbers get to a total number.

Tier 1 I think is 0-199
    Tier 2 is 200-599
    Tier 3 is 600-???? A big number

So if you fly a kitfox with amphibians you are essentially getting 4 "hours" for every 1 you fly.
    I fly a kitfox on wheels so I get everything but the retracts time.

So now you can calculate what tier you're in.

I was quoted 1900/yr for my Kitfox 5. $50k hull and no deductible. I don’t feel so bad now...!
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

My quotes for 70K hull have been similar to what you guys are stating. Check this out though. I believe my numbers exclude first flight. In fact I believe it doesn't kick in until somewhere around 10 hours. Dont quote me on that but you can quote me on this. If I want phase one totally included it will cost me $5000. Only one company offers that. I have 250 hrs, commercial, instrument, 14hr in type and tailwheel endorsed. They still want me to get current with one hour in type before first flight. That was in the plans anyhow so no biggy.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Falcon shopped me around this year for a new carrier because the one I had went up from ~$1200 to ~$1400.

My new renewal was $1080 for $50k hull and $1M liability, $0 deductible.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Larry, what company was your new renewal with? I know its thru Falcon, but what carrier did they end up with?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS