Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Picking up my kit

Default Picking up my kit

Hi all,

I am a newcomer to building a KitFox or any aircraft from that matter. I will be picking up my kit next month in Homedale and I am wondering if you have any advise other than not to crash the truck. I have so far reserved a 26’ Penske truck and a bunch of moving blankets to go with it.

Thanks in advance!
    Terry
    ATP, Goldseal CFI/CFII/MEI

SS7
    Portland, OR

Default Re: Picking up my kit

Just a thought, but when I bought my kit in 2013 I found that if I picked it up myself in Homedale I would have to pay Idaho sales tax on the whole price. If the factory shipped it to me in Oregon I paid no sales tax (because Oregon has no sales tax). The savings in sales tax just about offset the savings in picking it up myself. So I opted to have them ship it and take all responsibility for safe transport.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Not sure if Penske has the boards on the wall but a Uhaul truck does and they are perfect for strapping the wings on the wall to make room for everything. Honestly, I think I would recommend the Uhaul over the penske cause the floor is so much lower so you can get the plane in and out easier at your house. Plus the wings strapped to the wall is a nice way to go
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Just curious, if you pick up the kit at the factory it's not crated?

Rick

Rachet straps, you will need many ratchet straps.

Ralph

Talk to Brandon. I helped him load a pair of wings and they have a slicker than greased owl scat setup for the wings.

Andy, "slicker than owl scat" has to be one of those southern sayings. Hahaha when I first read it, I thought maybe Auto correct was at it again.

Ok... Onto packing. The Penske trucks are great. However they don't have blankets, they are light pads and they are terrible for packing wings and flaperons. We will need four rachet straps. The Home Depot set works great! Do yourself a favor and pick up 6 packing blankets from harbor freight. They are cheap insurance for the trip home.

Brandon
    Last edited by Brandon Petersen; 01-15-2019 at 07:43 AM.

Thanks guys for some good tips. Renting a Penske truck rather than one from U-HAUL was per John McBean’s suggestion. Apparently a truck without wheelwells sticking out in the cargo bay works better for loading and securing the wings which I can see. Debra said that a 16 footer would be big enough but, looking at a picture of one on the Penskeks website, it appears that the only trucks without wheelwells are either the 22 footers or the 26 footers so I’d probably go with a 22 footer.

I will be sure to pickup some ratcheting straps and moving blanket at a HF in Boise before I head out to Homedale. I didn’t know that Penske had only pads, not blankets.

As for the issue of the sales tax, it appears it wouldn’t make any difference if you’re picking up the kit yourself or if you’re having it delivered. At least my invoice does not show it. (I live in OR.)

The kit will not be in a crate by the way. I think it is crated only if it’s being shipped overseas.
    Terry
    ATP, Goldseal CFI/CFII/MEI

SS7
    Portland, OR

The 16' Penske truck is all you need.

Hi Terry, keep us posted on your progress. Doug(Floog), Jim(Jiott) and I(Airfox) are local builders in the Portland area. When you get going on your build let us know and we'll stop by to help with your questions. We each have built 7SS's over the past 6 years. There is another build in progress in the Scappoose area that we have been watching/helping with questions. Look forward to watching your progress. One of the best parts of the build process is the community and making new flying buddies.

Good luck!

Scott
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7