Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Cold air from the tail

Default Cold air from the tail

I have been battling with the cold air hitting us in the back of the neck. I have put a curtain up behind the seat and put the brush weather stripping in the trim slot and flapperon slot. Anyone have any new tricks?

Default Re: Cold air from the tail

have you plugged the holes at the aft wing spar/air frame attachment?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I have some but am gonna do more there. Problem is I fold the wings so nothing permanent stays in and it is too cold to tape it everytime.

Cut some sections of sponge that you can jam in the spar holes. Even though you have a curtain, try to block the holes in the rear as much as possible. My tail inspection cover has a foam gasket all the way around so air doesn't ram into there. I found the other day cruising around in -20C that air was coming from the top where the turtle deck and skylight meet. Not sure how your curtain is set up but that could use a better foam gasket or if you velcroed your curtain to the angle, if you had it sp it was pushed up tight in that corner would make a difference.

Another huge one is the seal where the wing butts against the butt rib. You fold your wings so you don't want anything that will make a mess but try putting painters tape down that seam and see if it helps. I have one inch gorilla tape on that seam.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Some more good ideas. I think I will go to the hanger and pull the tail covers. not sure I can find thin enough foam I wonder if engine gasket would work?
    It is suppose to warm up later in the week so I can get out side and work on it.
    here is one for you I always wondered why the corners of the roof are turned up and open is there a reason for that? Also why don't cap the holes over the bolts?
    It was -14 c when I got back last night at dark. -6 c is my personal limit but man was it nice clear and smooth. I am gonna have to learn to fly it all over again when The DA goes back to positive

The corners are turned up so when you fold the wings they don't get caught. They might be up more than they need to be.

For my rear covers, I got foam that was about 3/8" by 3/8" but I could squish it down to almost nothing. I thought it was a little too thick but after I put it on I think it's just right as it fills the gap on the curved parts. I just went to an industrial supply place similar to Acklands and looked at automotive weather stripping.

I never put holes over my bolts. I just figured if I ever need to take the wings off, I can unbolt the top of the sky light enough to get at it. It would be pretty easy to make covers.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I have some of that too I wasn't sure it would squish down flat. For those holes I will find some plugs or tape for now. If didn't have to fold it I would tape everything.
    Thanks for the ideas.

My buddies are flying skis now I think I wanna get that set up next.