Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nate Ashton's Kitfox SS7

Default Nate Ashton's Kitfox SS7

Alright,

I guess Ill introduce myself. My wife and I are building a SS7 that we picked up at the end of September of 2018. Soooo here's what were working with.

- Kitfox SS7 taildragger
    - Aeromomentum AM15 engine
    - Oratex 6000 silver and sky blue
    - Adjustable rudder pedals
    - Lycoming 233 cowlings and firewall
    - Spring gear with 850 tires
    - Garmin G3X panel

So far I just have videos on YouTube but I'm thinking of posting the details on this forum. So details to come! Below is the YouTube channel link.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA...g0lrkGjbLXz3KQ

Default Re: Nate Ashton's Kitfox SS7

Welcome. I'm interested to see how the AeroMomentum engine works out!
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Welcome to the group Nate. Yeh, interested as well. Something Different. So tell us, what motivated the decision on that engine?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Sounds exciting. Their website lists three different horsepower possibilities:

117HP, 131HP and 147HP. Which one do you anticipate using?

The 147HP engine, in the low profile version is listed at $16,000 bucks.
    If that works out - WOW!

Are you going to be a "Beta" builder for the Kitfox firewall forward package?

Regards,
    Rodney

Looks real nice, Nate! As far as that little area at the turtledeck mounting tab goes, that should be nothing to worry about. By the time you overlap the top skin, and apply finish tape, it will not be visible. All in all it looks great! I wasn't aware of those specific engines. Your 117 hp unit should perform well. Looks like the TBO is 1500 hrs., and it weighs about 30+ lbs. over a 912 Rotax, but you'd pay a lot for the reduced weight and additional time with the Rotax. In my opinion, that extra weight won't be bad at all, especially if you don't have a heavier controllable pitch prop. Looking forward to your reports!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Welcome!

Cool looking engine. I did a search and read all about the engine. Very promising!

All the best!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Just watched your latest youtube update. Cool stuff dude.

I really like that throttle quadrant and the clear access panels. Real slick
    Looking forward to how your going to mount it. I've been thinking about something similar.
    Who did you go with as your avionics vendor? I'm getting ready to jump into the deep end and buy my avionics soon.

Thanks for posting!
    Last edited by bbs428; 01-11-2019 at 08:45 PM.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

EFWD - The initial motivation came from my dad who is building a Long Ez with 2 AM15's, one on each wing. But after getting to researching... Price! and also reasonable performance, readily available brand new parts, great costumer service, familiar modern car technology, options for a turbo in the near future, and it looks cool

Rodney - Im going with 117hp low profile. I did have the lower end balanced and blueprinted with the intention of upgrading the top end to run at the higher RPM's for more HP later on. I decided to use Kitfox's lycoming 233 cowling and firewall. Mark (Owner) with Aeromomentum is making the engine mount. John, Debra and team seem pretty busy lately to have a beta builder for a firewall forward package.

jrevens - Thanks for the information on the fabric. I can sleep a little better tonight! As far as props, i'm using a 3 blade Luga 69" scimitar ground adjustable propeller.

Thanks bbs428, I'm went with aircraft spruce but that's just because I didn't know kitfox was a vendor for Garmin. Other wise would have gone with kitfox. I'm looking forward to how I mount the throttle quadrant as well...

Always good to see another builder doing something different. Good luck with the build.
    David
    SS7 Builder