Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: bbs428 Build

Default Re: bbs428 Build

To get an accurate auto-pilot pitch servo installation I had to get the elevator rigged as
    close as possible. Followed the book. Left the roll servo alone until the flaperons can be
    rigged.

I had to make many adjustments especially to the pitch servo bracket. I then remade the
    pitch servo elevator attachment bracket. First one, I decided was to small and to thin (.035)
    but easily bendable. The attachment point height was good. The second one is .07 stock and
    more robust. No way I was bending this freehand. I heated up a one inch bolt to a dull red
    color and the .07 aluminum bent around it with ease.
    Turned out much nicer. Has a good friction fit.

Question - it should have a mechanical bond to the push rod, correct? Aeropoxy and some rivets?

It was a pita but time well spent.

Autopilot elevator pushrod attachment bending rod.jpgAutopilot elevator pushrod attachment.jpgAutopilot elevator pushrod attachment size.jpgauto pilot pitch servo new attachment bracket11.jpg

Had a few days of 60 deg weather outside so I took advantage of the heat wave and painted
    the lift strut brackets and some other stuff. still had to use a fast hardener. They had to be blasted
    as well as the lift struts.
    Painted with 2 part white auto urethane.
    Good thing, as it's back to 20 deg and freezing rain!

lift strut bracket.jpglift strut bracket1.jpg

Received some new updated parts. Debra's great on the phone. All my stuff arrived safe.
    I'm real happy with the quality of parts.

When there's a nice stretch of weather I'll rig the wings. I want to finish as much as I can on the
    fuselage before I start working on the quick-build wings when the weather warms up.

With luck I'll be covering and painting this summer!

Back to work!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Was really satisfying to walk into the garage and see the plane slowly coming together.
    I have my coffee and look everything over... and plan the days work. Very enjoyable.

After a few days I finally worked out all the bugs with the pitch servo install and the trim
    assist. With a few minor modifications, it meets all the conditions of the kit. No interference issues
    and there is always tension on the spring.

The pitch servo bracket ended up very strong and light but grew complicated and required many
    adjustments to the cutout areas. The assist spring had to be positioned a bit different but the
    function and effect is still the same. My pitch servo arm had a conflict with the spring in it's normal
    placement.

Since this is a model five I had no lightning holes on the flap weldament on the mixer
    assembly. So I drilled two holes one inch apart where the measurements looked to be the best. The lower
    hole on the mixer is lower to compensate for the diagonal crossing of the spring. It also provides the
    lightest amount of assist. At this setting the elevator is about neutral with the H. Stab. with zero flaps.
    The upper hole provides noticeably more assist which seemed a bit to much as the elevator was up
    substantially with zero flaps.

I was thankful that I worked on this prior to covering. Would even be more of a pita.

This was my first effort...
    auto pilot pitch servo2.jpg

And the second...
    auto pilot pitch servo2.jpg

And the last.
    auto pilot elevator at lowest setting1.jpg

auto pilot elevator at lowest setting3.jpg

Elevator relatively neutral at zero flap.
    auto pilot elevator at lowest setting.jpg
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler

Brett, your project is coming along well. Looks like some nice workmanship and quality control. And you are right , much easier to accomplish these tasks early in the build before cover. I added an autopilot to my Series 5 Outback after the plane had been flying for many years and it reminded me of playing the game "operation" (you have to be of my generation to remember that one) with a lot of contortions and tight quarters. Sounds like you are enjoying the process, which is the proper mindset for homebuilding an airplane. Bruce N199CL

Looks great. You are ahead of me so I am taking notes. I also remember the game Operation!!! I am too big for that!

Winding back a little, I've just been looking at your comm. antenna in the fin. Wish I'd done that as I've seen it on another thread (forgotten which). The ability to get great VHF coverage will be a real advantage. I remember many years ago on a flight to Singapore spending some time in the cockpit of a 777-300ER, and with all that wiz bang stuff they had, the VHF radio was still a bit iffy, even for them, and we weren't that far north of Perth (In Australia) which was the area ATC. So even the big guys don't necessarily have great reception. So in short, good thinking and I enjoy your build thread.
    David
    SS7 Builder

We count on about 200NM max of range for the big guys. If they are lower than FL310 even that gets iffy
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

A lot of work preparing the wings for their rig and attachment to the fuselage and subsequent work. It's time
    like these I wish I had just ordered a new kit instead of resurrecting this old, grungy sad sack of a kitfox.
    The quality of the kits these days are so much better. I just drool at the pic's of all the new kits. Skystar built
    some nice kits, but John, Debra and the kitfox crew are building great kits. The parts they have sent me have
    been top notch. Their help and patience with me in this project cannot be stressed enough.

Those of you who do find an older kit as I did... Don't fool yourself. Unless it's pristine, stored in a rodent proof
    box, you will be facing much of the same. Dirty, gnawed on and missing parts. Corrosion and rust issues and
    older airframe and parts that have since been updated. And of course the time to overcome all of these challenges!
    Lot's of Time...

I wonder sometimes if the $$ I saved was worth the trouble!

Well... of course it's worth it! lol. The savings paid for the engine upgrades and avionics!!

Enough of the pity party. Back to work!

Here are the wings after a week of scrubbing, inside and out. I alodined the spars, inside and out.
    Painting or 2-part epoxy primer I felt would just add to much weight. The white vinegar is a cheap mild acid
    that not only cleans but prepares the aluminum for the Alodine. You have to flush everything with fresh
    water between steps. An amazing amount of scrubbing is needed and the alodine treatment still came out
    blotchy. Thank goodness the wings will be covered! I'll topcoat the root ends of the spars with the gloss white
    urethane. Perfection can be attempted later with the covering and paint!

At least they are treated and I can live with myself knowing they will be safe and corrosion free in the decades to come.

wing wash.jpgwing wash3.jpgwing wash4.jpgwing wash1.jpgwing wash7.jpgwing wash8.jpgwing wash9.jpgwing wash6.jpg

Brett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    Received a package from Tosten mfg. with my 2 new CS-8 joystick grips! Super quality stuff.
    More fun!
    I assume hat switch is trim, trigger is PTT, but what about the other buttons?
    - Thanks--Michael
    Michael
    Cherokee 180; Kitfox S7SS in progress

Thanks to everyone for the nice replies. It's appreciated!

As to the stick grip buttons... yes hat will be trim and trigger PTT. Index button will be the radio toggle.
    The two top buttons could be Ident. for transponder and wig-wag or wig-wag and landing light.
    Or if one prefers...Missiles and guns. lol. Or the in flight movie and beverage cart!

More than likely I'll use one of them to speed dial the Mrs. to let her know why I'm not home and still in Idaho, Nevada or Arizona...

stick grip.jpgstick grip1.jpg
    Last edited by DesertFox4; 03-04-2019 at 06:23 PM.

Brett Butler

Good job on the spars. I think everything you've done in the way of corrosion treatment is spot on. I did the same on mine but also did a two pack prime on the outside - which was not necessary because the Alodine has good corrosion resistance anyway. Renovation is always harder than creation. Keep at it, will all be worth it.
    David
    SS7 Builder