Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Adjustable Rudder Pedals, Should I?

Default Adjustable Rudder Pedals, Should I?

Hi all,

On the already-started kit fox kit that I bought, I had to cut the ends off of the rudder cables to remove them to paint the fuselage frame black.

Before I re-install them, I'm wondering if I should go with the adjustable rudder cable kit? I have long legs, so I could make the pedals comfortable for me, and if I fly with a shorter passenger, They can use a "booster cushion" if the pedals are too far away.

Question about the pedals: can the left and right side be adjusted independently of each other? Or does adjusting one side also move the other side.

For those that have adjustable pedals, was it worth it? Are you happy you did it? It looks like some of the steel parts have to be cut down in order to use them with the adjustable pedal kit.

Thoughts??
    Mark Pensenstadler
    Price's Airpark, Linden, MI (9G2)
    S-10 | S-6S | RV-7 | Cherokee 160 | Zenith Cruzer | Kitfox | Mooney M20C

Default Re: Adjustable Rudder Pedals, Should I?

Mark,

The rudder pedal adjustments are independent. There are two levers installed on the console which can be used separately by the pilot and co pilot.

I randomly use either seat for piloting; and, find that co-pilots and passengers make good use of the other side adjustments. When flying young eagles - the kid's side gets moved WAAAAAY ahead to keep them off the brakes.

I like it. Would do it again? - for sure!
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

The modification to the rudder pedal horns is really easy, and is nothing to fear. It's definitely a worthwhile option if anyone else is ever going to fly your plane. I installed them, and would recommend the option to anyone ordering a kit.

As a caution, it's not necessarily a quick retrofit. Depending upon how far along your kit is, removing the rudder pedals might be pretty difficult. You'll also need to remove and modify your center console, which may be easy or difficult depending upon how much stuff needs to be relocated or rerouted to accommodate the levers. If you don't have a parking brake, it would be a good time to consider adding that if you ever will want it.

Edit: Just found your build log. Looks like the plane was not too far along at all and you already have everything disassembled and cleaned up. Definitely do the adjustable pedals.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Now is definitely the time to do it if Im ever going to. I have already removed everything down to the airframe. I did this to paint the frame black. So now I'm in the "put-everything-back" stage.

My center console already has the two slots for the adj. pedal option. I think I'd just need to order the kit as well as new rudder cables from Kitfox.

I'm not good at working with steel, so I'm not looking forward to trimming the pedal brackets, but I'll manage.

Thanks for the input.
    Mark Pensenstadler
    Price's Airpark, Linden, MI (9G2)
    S-10 | S-6S | RV-7 | Cherokee 160 | Zenith Cruzer | Kitfox | Mooney M20C

Hi Mark,

Just to play Devil's advocate, I didn't install the adjustable option and I'm happy with that. Keep in mind a couple of pros and cons -

The pros for the adjustable pedals are pretty obvious - other people with shorter leg length than I have can more quickly be accommodated, although seat pads can also do that... just maybe not as eloquently. I say shorter legs than mine because I have the pedals as far forward as they can be, and I feel that a little more would even be better. I'm about 6'2" tall with a 34" inseam. If someone else with shorter legs were to own my airplane, the pedal position can be changed with the links at the pedals, as well as those at the rudder. Thinner back cushions could actually give me a little more leg room also, but I would never want the pedals anywhere but full-forward like they are.

The cons are - extra complexity, extra weight, more room taken up under the tunnel. and more "real estate" used up on top of the tunnel. Without those two handles up there I have more room for my parking brake control, fire extinguisher and perhaps something else that I might want to mount in that area.

I'm probably of a little different mind than many builders, in that I didn't build my airplane with the thought that it might be more attractive to potential buyers in the future, or because I will be training others in it. I built it strictly to accommodate myself and be what I wanted.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I also left the adjustable pedals out for all of John’s reasons with the emphasis on weight and complexity savings.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

From the other end of the height spectrum, I have adjustable pedals because I want to let friends experience flying my plane. With coordinated turns.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Adjustable pedals are about the best thing you can add in my opinion,as we use them all the time,and also think about when you may sell it..huge advantage.
    Kitfox 5 Vixon
    Flying

I changes my rudder pedals 5 times in one day yesterday. My wife and I were taking turns flying which not every one has that situation. I like all John's reasons for not putting it in but they sure are handy.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I did not put them in my first KF5 for all the reasons John mentioned earlier as well but, in this build I added them. My first build came with the hardware which I threw in a box and on a shelf for fifteen years so, I decided to use them this time around. I talked with John McBean about this last time I was at Homedale and he was neutral about it but, I looked at the two planes that were in the shop and both had them so, I bought the lever brackets and followed the retrofit instructions. After going through the motions to install, I wish I hadn't. I fly more alone than with someone else on board. When I am going to fly with someone, keeping a booster cushion in the baggage compartment wouldn't be much of a penalty and would have been just as good, I think. . . I may have to use both a cushion and adj. pedals for my 5 year old grandson who insists that he is going to fly it as soon as it's air-worthy. He'll be a little taller by that time and since the adj. pedals are there now they might be helpful. . .