Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: light speed , zulu 3 head set

Default light speed , zulu 3 head set

So I finally saved up my allowance and bought a light speed zulu 3 head set. I was blown away once I turned it on. Very clear and the sound was great. Very comfortable also. My goal was to find a quieter head set with blue tooth I was told to try the light speed. I'm glad I did!! they are prob at least 50 % quieter than my David Clark's. Two thumbs up!!!!!!

Patrick , kitfox 6
    100 hp 912
    Last edited by phintz; 07-29-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Default Re: light speed , zulu 3 head set

Haha, that's bizarre; I put in a headset order with Sportys about 30 minutes ago

I trialled what I thought to be the best three for me: Bose A20, Lightspeed Zulu 3 and David Clark DC One-X.

I liked the Lightspeed but what niggled me was the inability to swap the microphone to the right side of the headset. Not a first-world problem, I know, but sitting in the right seat I don't want wires dangling across my chest and I would prefer the microphone on the right. No problems at all with the left seat :-)

The Bose definitely had the edge on the other two for ANR but I didn't like the sheep sitting on my head and I didn't like the fold-in-half system. I also found them a bit plasticky but my mates assure me they are good in service. Microphones definitely hit the bad spot again Out comes the screwdriver if you want to switch sides (but at least you have the option) but I didn't like the way the boom comes from below your chin and up. I just found myself fiddling all the time to get it to stay in the right spot....probably a bit of OCD on my part didn't help.

Not difficult to figure out that I went with the DCs. In my opinion, the build quality far outweighs the others and my microphone obsession is cured. The ANR is marginally worse than the A20 but I think better than the Lightspeed and, really, in a Rotax-equipped aircraft all three are going to be great. I think the DCs will probably clamp a bit more than the A20 (but less than the Lightspeeds) but I much prefer their headband for comfort and durability...and lack of wet wool smell

I was very tempted by the wireless Lightspeed headsets but with a LEMO jack behind my shoulder I won't have any wires dangling so I concluded I'd just be buying more potential to go wrong.....despite being a great gadget that we surely all love.

I've had IOUs for the past couple of Christmases, so Sportys get to send me a his and hers headset. The colour will probably match my wife's face as she is not the best traveller

Okay.....All the headsets have been supported this weekend. I just ordered my pair of Bose A20's yesterday. Let's see if this build (electrical wiring) is completed before these things are outdated.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by phintz View Post
    So I finally saved up my allowance and bought a light speed zulu 3 head set. I was blown away...
    I like the Lightspeeds too, Patrick. Having tried them all at OSH every year, the Zulu 2 (& 3) has consistantly been the all-around winner for me. I recently had my “2’s” converted to “3’s”.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

OK, so everyone is telling headset stories... here's mine.

At AirVenture last week, my wife Darlene and I dropped in to the Kitfox Aircraft booth on Saturday afternoon. While talking to John, he spotted the Bose bag my wife was carrying. His comment "so you didn't buy from us" with a little humor to his voice. My only excuse was that Bose was giving a $350 credit for my 14 year old Bose ANR headset on a purchase of new A20. Couldn't pass up on that offer for a new A20.

It did make me think, we are always looking for a deal, but why not check with Kitfox Aircraft to support them. They may be competitive with many of the slicker aviation parts/pilot supply shops.

Ralph

I have 2 of the Zulu 3's. I had 2 old Avcom headsets I bought probably 10 years ago. The quality was about what you'd expect from a $175 headset. I could hear ok but at cruise rpm no one could understand me. I'd have to back off to 4000 rpm or less to be heard. Engine noise (912) was overpowering the transmitter. I had the same problem communicating with my passenger. I'd have to constantly adjust the squelch on my intercom. My a&p buddy offered his Bose ANR for me to try and see if it helped. What a difference! Some of us were meeting for lunch and I talked to one of the other pilots, loud and clear, from 13 miles away. I was amazed when I pushed the ANR switch. Evidently, ANR also reduces transmit noise too. I had an opportunity to buy a Zulu 3 (at dealer cost) with the understanding that if I wasn't satisfied I could return it. I was so impressed I bought a second one. I've since flown with a friend in his Husky with the "top of the line" Bose. They work very well, they're very comfortable and quality is great but I couldn't detect anything about them I liked any better than my Zulu 3's. Price is always an important factor for me so the much lower price of the Zulu 3 made my choice easy. Having tried both Bose and Zulu 3, I feel the Zulu 3 works just as good and is a couple hundred dollars cheaper. They're very comfortable, they have the best cords of any headset I've seen and they have a very good guarantee. I highly recommend the Zulu.

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    It did make me think, we are always looking for a deal, but why not check with Kitfox Aircraft to support them. They may be competitive with many of the slicker aviation parts/pilot supply shops.

Ralph
    You know, I wouldn't normally think to go to Kitfox for headsets, but Bose, Lightspeed, and the other top-tier manufacturers control their pricing very closely, so you're probably not getting a deal anywhere else. (your case, excluded, obviously.) When my airplane is done, I'll need to buy a couple LEMO-equipped headsets, and I'll buy them from Kitfox. Thanks for putting this in my head Ralph I probably would have bought elsewhere without thinking.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Well since we are talking headsets, my wife and I have used Clarity Aloft for 3 years. They are hands down the quietest headset you can buy. She first used them on the Metro which is probably one of the loudest planes you can operate in commercial service.

They are also super light and comfortable.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Ive only seen those type headsets used in commercial cockpits. "ear buds". do you think they will still do the job if you chose to fly with the doors open?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    Well since we are talking headsets, my wife and I have used Clarity Aloft for 3 years...

What were the super lightweight headsets that Scott Palmer was using at OSH? These were "ear-bud" style units...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos