Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6" nosewheel

Default Re: 6" nosewheel

Steve is just an Over Achiever. I hope everything is spelled correctly. The input area is the size of a postage stamp. I have no idea what I’m typing, and I can’t zoom in.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Steve.
    Isn’t your front wheel the famous patented “Brush Buster “ design?
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

Joe,
    You've nailed it, buddy. The ol' original "Brush Buster"!
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Regarding KF nosewheels: Is there a history of (trigear) landing incidents similar to those the earlier Vans RV trigears have had?

I am also following the Wittman Tailwheel group and there is chatter about the risk of “digging in” to turf with very bad results (with the earlier RV nosegear). Tailwind folks have been using Vans nosegears for years. Apparently there has been a service bulletin and later a re-design of the RV nosegear. One of my hangar neighbors (with an RV 8 tricycle gear) had installed a retrofit fix on his to stiffen up the main nosegear strut.

Since I am third owner of a trigear Vixen (with visible evidence of some kind of un-documented nosegear incident), I am very curious.

Thanks anyone.

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

Quote Originally Posted by SkySteve View Post
    Joe,
    You've nailed it, buddy. The ol' original "Brush Buster"!
    So...is the Brush Buster an actual thing? Can I order one?

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

If I’m not mistaken, Steve Wilson’s A&P put that nose wheel assembly together for him.
    It is a one of a kind!
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

That's correct. My mechanic designed the change required for the part around the wheel and tire. The 600x6 wheel and tire are not only taller than the 500x5, they are also wider. Some cutting, designing and welding were involved. I also replaced the tension washers with heavier ones and had to tighten them fairly tight so I didn't have any shimmy when landing on hard surfaces, like real runways. Mine is a one-of-a-kind. And, no, my mechanic will not reproduce it for others. The "Brush Buster" is just a name we call it due to the kind of places we land.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by SWeidemann View Post
    Regarding KF nosewheels: Is there a history of (trigear) landing incidents similar to those the earlier Vans RV trigears have had?

I am also following the Wittman Tailwheel group and there is chatter about the risk of “digging in” to turf with very bad results (with the earlier RV nosegear). Tailwind folks have been using Vans nosegears for years. Apparently there has been a service bulletin and later a re-design of the RV nosegear. One of my hangar neighbors (with an RV 8 tricycle gear) had installed a retrofit fix on his to stiffen up the main nosegear strut.

Since I am third owner of a trigear Vixen (with visible evidence of some kind of un-documented nosegear incident), I am very curious.

Thanks anyone.

Skot
    Skot,

The majority of Kitfoxes are outfit with tailwheels so we have a smaller sampling to go by; however, I have been running our trigear S7 for 10 years now, including places where my tailwind tailwheel pals and most RV's don't go; and, my belief is there is nothing of concern with nosegear equipped Kitfoxes other than pilot technique and judgment about what type of surfaces to stay out of.

In training, we were taught to protect the nosegear, land on the mains and to specifically to keep the nosewheel light as possible when dealing with rough or soft surfaces.

There is no nosegear design that someone has not dug in and dumped over somewhere, somehow. Same with tailwheel gear aircraft. I don't think that I ever flew a high time rental cessna or piper that someone had not previously damaged a nosegear or firewall somehow by landing nose first.

The only design issues that I am aware of were covered in early designs of the fork and the nose gear leg which are certainly superseded at the present. These are listed in Kitfoxe's technical section on their web site.

I think the main deal with the trigear is to assure correct pilot technique, learn the aircraft's limits gradually on less than ideal surfaces - which includes walking some fields before attempting a landing on them; and, of course, being certain on inspection and maintenance.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Dave,

I appreciate your input. I am still getting familiar with my Vixen and input from other tricycle gear Kitfox folks is helpful.

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

Steve

I want to design a nose wheel set up similar to yours. Can you send me some closeup pictures to see how yours is done? It the fork steel or aluminum? My AP has a full machine shop . email is a074373@allstate.com