Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: MGL E1 Rpm issue

Default MGL E1 Rpm issue

I have installed an mgl e1 engine monitoring gauge and it is outputting the rpm way higher than what it is. I’m comparing it to a tiny tach. It’s pretty obvious that the mgl unit is wrong. Tiny tach says 3000 and mgl says 4000...mgl says 9000 and tiny tach says 5000 for example. Mgl said to adjust the rpm sensitivity put that doesn’t change anything. I have verified the wiring is correct and grounded as per the manual. Also settings are correct per manual and mgl. It’s on a rotax 582. Do you guys have any ideas for me to try?

Default Re: MGL E1 Rpm issue

You also have to set the rpm for the number of pulses the instrument reads. The sensitivity setting will just make the reading more stable. JImChuk

PS I also remembered that I got a resister with mine, and it was for a Rotax installation. I don't remember if that was for a 912 or 582 or both though and don't have the manual handy.

I had to add a resistor to my Dynon Skyview rpm sensor wire.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I have the MGL E3 2 1/4" single that gives the correct RPMs. Will check my install setup and can provide next week.
    Ray
    Kitfox V Lycoming YO-233

https://legacy.rotaxowner.com/si_tb_...info/5ul90.pdf

I found this service letter about the grey tach wire. Does anybody think this could be it?

Think I figured it out. It was the connector on the e1 that was the problem.