Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Default Re: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Brian thanks! Super helpful as always! Sounds like Im priming tomorrow! I have a handful of stuff at this point so its good timing. Any tips on spraying poly fiber primer? or should simply brush?

Also drilled the rivet holes in trailing edge of flaperon, what's the convention for head vs shop side of the rivet up or down. I guess you will see both regardless... I may just have to order solid ones...

For my flaperons I used solid rivets and have the shop head up.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

When swaging the pilot and copilot rudder cables together what position should the adjustable pedal lever be in vs the pedals themselves. It would seem since the position of the swage is fixed 62-63” that you would want the pedals and levers to correspond to the same poison as to not move the swage forward or aft later. And without the firewall I cannot know the forward most or aft most position of the pedals.

I positioned the pedals in neutral, even, straight across. The lever position I don't think matters much, maybe in a mid position. The main thing is you want to make sure the swage joints do not interfere with anything (cable guide tubes, etc.) thru their full range of travel in any pedal or lever position. I believe that 62"-63" puts them in a place where nothing is very close.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

The manual says to put the levers in the middle position. Mostly, they need to be in the same position. The actual fore/aft positions will be set when you swage the aft cable eyes. You really need the firewall on for that. Make sure you are following the cable installation instructions in the adjustable pedal Appendix.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

It's probably obvious, but a 1x4 or a level through the fuselage behind all 4 pedals will keep them aligned while you swage.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Default Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Still a bit apprehensive about swaging these cables. By the book 62-63 inches put the swage a right on top of this cross beam (see picture) it would seem to me that if it was to hook on something when using The rudder this would be a good spot to hook the cables.

Mine ended up a couple inches forward from there. When there is tension in them, they won't catch that tube.

--Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Rudder cable tension is provided by the 2 or 4 springs that hook up at the pulleys under the center console.

Brakes 2.jpg
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks Yes I have the springs in place. I went ahead and did it. And it came out fine. I was likely overthinking it and I understand that spring tension will keep them away from catching... but it is possible given their position so I wanted to make sure.

Thanks for all the help as always!

I got my flaperons installed today and the control horns clecoed. This was a pretty exciting step for me. Finally also have my last coat of hysol on the balsa tips!

I’ll start the wing ends tonight. I think I’m getting close to having the wings structurally complete. Poly fiber class in ATL next weekend.