Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a S5 or newer near CA...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Looking for a S5 or newer near CA...

Quote Originally Posted by Charliebravo View Post
    Randy, how much do you weigh...
    60 yrs old, a little stiff, 6'5" and 250 to 260#'s depending on if I am in winter coat mode or not. Most of my height is in my legs, 36" inseam.

Don't fit in Japanese cars too well, always fit in German cars well, mainly because Germans and Dutch are some of the tallest nationalities around, so they build cars to fit that demographic.

You may be more flexible than me, it just seemed that with his setup and the pedals, getting my knees stuffed into my chin seemed to be a bugger and problematic for entrance. Perhaps a longer door? Or a 3 to 4" longer access opening to the side would do it, or seats more aft, although that would really screw with where your weight sits under the wings and the CG balance.

Thanks. 37" in seam here. Sounds like getting in and out is the issue. Once seated you were ok. There may be hope me

Door length is part of it, front to rear, just really tight, and , getting around the joystick.

I don't have any of these problems getting in and out of cars, well except maybe a corvette, too low to the ground, but the door on a corvette is plenty long enough to get my legs in, as it is on almost any 2 door coupe.

Interested in seeing how you get in and out of a SS7, let us know how it goes. How old are you? Age might be a factor also.

Age 47.

Would love to find one on the east coast to sit in. Does anyone know of one around the Richmond, Virginia or Atlanta, GA area?

Door length is part of it, front to rear, just really tight, and , getting around the joystick.

If you use a removable pin at the bottom of the stick so it can be laid to the side it is so much easer to swing your legs in

I am probably saying what everyone already knows, but by far the easiest way to get into a Kitfox is, assuming on the pilot side, first back in and set your butt on the seat, then swing your right leg in over the stick, then last swing in your left leg. I have seen so many newbies try to first put their right leg in, then their butt, etc.-this just does not work well.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Correct, and at 6' 5" with the tires on Joes 7SS, I was able to do that, get my rear in first, as Joe showed me how, and then get my right leg in. the trick was with the joy stick, getting the left leg in. It's a tight fit, with my long legs. Joe is maybe 5'8" tall, and removed the 3" foam cushion first, before I tried getting in.

The rumor is that the rules for LSA are going to be modified to include aircraft like the C-172, so you might want to hold off on buying something with a gross weight of only 1320lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by 896tr View Post

If you use a removable pin at the bottom of the stick so it can be laid to the side it is so much easer to swing your legs in
    Good point! Duly noted! Thanks for the suggestion!

If you’re going to fly by yourself, consider something with tandem seating like a Rans or a cub.