Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Short Field- FARM

Red face Short Field- FARM

I'm looking for some information regarding short field performance. I live in western Washington on a 40 ac farm and my wife has FINALLY given the OK to get my license. I have always loved the KF and I believe that it would work well here on the farm. My intent in to purchase a 5 or better, but what size engine should I need for it to perform well?

I have trees at both ends that are roughly 50 feet. and a gradual slope the long way across the field with 1200 feet between the treeline.

I'm 6'3" 225# and my wife is 5'2" and maybe 125#

We live near an airfield and could top-off there- so I could fly lighter in and out. I would work out of the local airfield and some off-airport site to earn my experience before coming to the farm.

Do-able? I think so- but I don't have any meaningful idea. SO I come to y'all- Thanks for sharing

Default Re: Short Field- FARM

My opinion on a 1200' runway with 50' trees at both ends is a no go. Doable, but no room for any error not even once.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Im with him.
    I fly out of a 1600 foot strip daily in a model IV with an 80 horse. I weigh 165 and the wife is 102 (sshhhh) and on a hot day with full tanks I would not get in or out with anything like safety margin. Throw in some turbulence, float a little and need a go around, ... not worth the hospital stay or worse.
    A big motor in a SS7, might be a different deal, but I don't have any experience there. I'm just a hobbit with a little ole model IV and 80 ponies.

That's an easy answer..........no (IMHO)

(S7 W/100HP)

I've flown comfortably in and out of a 900 foot strip with open space on both ends and that was with me alone (160#) and half fuel, light winds no turbs.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I can see where this is going. Thanks for the advice.

This is on the family farm and my father-in-law used to fly his KF3 out of it... many years ago. Trees were shorter then, but he has had a history of judgment errors.. he called them landing spots of opportunity.

If you could angle your strip a bit, you would get more length. I had 1500' strip on a fourty. Eventually bought 3 more acres from the neighbor in the back, and now have 2000" JImChuk

I wouldn't say it's not doable. My friend has 1200' with 80' trees on the end. The other end is open. Even though it's super comfortable getting in and out, you only really take off towards the no tree area. 1200' is a lot of runway for a plane that needs 300' to take off and land(in perfect conditions). But 50' trees really make the runway more like 500' or less.

I would say get REALLY used to your plane, practice at the close airport. Put out cones. Find out how short you can actually take off and land. But like the others said, it would be nice if one end was tree less. Your density altitude can make a big difference. The 5's and up need 100HP you see a few 80's around but I think if you talk to them, they all want 100+
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

My strip is at 1400' AGL. The strip itself is 900' long. 30' trees on one end and 60' trees 500' off the other end. It's a challenge. Definitely not safe for a novice.

Link
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Your opening statement "OK to get my license" says enough. Short field, short
    time pilot is an invitation for disaster. Takes a lot of hours to where you know
    instinctively what the airplane is going to do, and even then you make mistakes.

Experience usually helps a lot to minimize how bad the mistakes are, so that's
    why after you get past 500 or so hours you become a mostly safe pilot ... You
    can never be completely safe though.

Don't get your ticket, with a plan to fly in and out of that field, unless you get
    a chainsaw out first and remove the trees.

Jeff

I'm glad you posted this. I have about 600 feet of runway, but no trees. The worst thing I could hit is a rickety fence, about 4' high. Prevailing wind is out of the North, so If I were to take off to the North, I have mountains gradually sloping up to about 300' AGL, peaking about 1000' from the end of my "runway". I hope to get a BFR and tailwheel endorsement in the Kitfox from Stick and Rudder, which is about 50 minutes away by car. I'll see what my instructor has to say, but before I clear away the sage, what does the Kitfox hive-mind think?