Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Proper Rotec 2800 prop

Wink Proper Rotec 2800 prop

Just bought a Kitfox 4 with 2800 Rotec engine.
    I have not flown it yet, but believe that the wooden 70 inch prop, pitch unknown, is too small for this engine.
    What size prop are the Rotec Kitfox using???
    Mark in Orlando

Default Re: Proper Rotec 2800 prop

Rotec recommends a 76x54 prop.... I had an Australian performance 76x54 prop on mine that started cracking at the hub. I just purchased a Prince P-Tip prop 76x50..... the thought was the P-Tip at 76” acts like a flat tip prop at 78”, so we lowered the pitch some to accommodate the ‘longer’ prop. Thus should also help with take off and climb. Bolted the new prop on last weekend, set the tracking, but have not had good weather to fly with it yet.....
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

70 inch was for ground clearance maybe?

I run a 78x48" Prince on my model IV with no clearance issues, even with the "small" 21/800-6 tires.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I'm running a 74 inch Luga and 21/800-6 tires with no problems either. Though, I was wondering that if the Rotec is centered on the firewall for the right look maybe this pushes the thrust line down a bit? Or perhaps the prior owner thought you needed more ground clearance than is necessary... I would get your tape measure out first to see how much distance you have when the tail is up in typical 2 wheel landing or take off position before you spend any money on a new prop. I can't remember my measurement exactly, but I remember reading somewhere that 9 inches minimum was recommended for certified taildraggers.