Jeff - check with these folks and see if their L2 antenna with work as an ADS-B antenna. http://www.advancedaircraft.com/#ourproducts

And, yes the Ted type antenna will need a ground plane - most folks are recommending a square of 120mm per side. Some say 100mm works great. I researched this a few nights ago and should have saved the addresses of the best sites but made my notes and pressed on. Anyhow, I made mine 120mm square. I do remember that a round ground plane is a textbook perfect answer but a square accommodates several issues if the location isn't perfect for reasons only an antenna engineer will understand. Anyhow, it is easy to find lots of writings on the subject via our knowledgeable google/bing etc friends. One thing to point out - for best results the antenna should be mounted vertically with the ball end down. That might/could be an issue if you are planning on mounting it in the wing tip. Maybe others have done it this way and can tell us how well it worked. Take pictures and let us know what you do and how well it works as more and more folks will have inquiring minds as we get closer to 2020.

You can see my very recent installations at the site below.