Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dipole antenna with no ground plane

Default Re: Dipole antenna with no ground plane

Jeff - check with these folks and see if their L2 antenna with work as an ADS-B antenna. http://www.advancedaircraft.com/#ourproducts

And, yes the Ted type antenna will need a ground plane - most folks are recommending a square of 120mm per side. Some say 100mm works great. I researched this a few nights ago and should have saved the addresses of the best sites but made my notes and pressed on. Anyhow, I made mine 120mm square. I do remember that a round ground plane is a textbook perfect answer but a square accommodates several issues if the location isn't perfect for reasons only an antenna engineer will understand. Anyhow, it is easy to find lots of writings on the subject via our knowledgeable google/bing etc friends. One thing to point out - for best results the antenna should be mounted vertically with the ball end down. That might/could be an issue if you are planning on mounting it in the wing tip. Maybe others have done it this way and can tell us how well it worked. Take pictures and let us know what you do and how well it works as more and more folks will have inquiring minds as we get closer to 2020.

You can see my very recent installations at the site below.

Larry - I'm calling the experiment complete as I was able to install the elevator and HT without apparent damage to the antenna.

First I "bent" the antenna up and out of the way, inserted the elevator and hung it out of the way:

Then - insert the HT:

Then with a slight twist forward the antenna goes into place easily.

And, not to change subjects, but . . . . .

Oops, I then discovered a forgotten promise - that I would fabricate the slide pucks before putting the tail pieces in. So I had an opportunity to prove it is possible to remove the HT without damaging the antenna during that process as well.

I have no idea how one would or could fit the stops and drill the 4130 receivers and match drill the stops in place IAW the manual. I chose to carefully make measurements and do all on the workbench.

Then, back in the fuse it went. No damage to the antenna. I'm calling the experiment complete.

Now I'm looking for recommendations to answer your (someone's ??) earlier question - how to handle the fabric goes where question.

Hope this is useful information. Cheers, Darrel

Thanks for the follow through and the great pictures. This is very helpful.
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

For those wondering about the dipole antenna pictured below it is found on the Aircraft Spruce website under the title "Advanced Aircraft Electronics High Gain VHF Antenna". The one pictured is the model 5T.
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS